Stopping Fermantion in Apelfwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zugbuggin

Reaction score
I'm on my 4th 1 gallon batch of Apelfwein. I have been very impressed with it so far. I've been using a champagne yeast and my Apelfwein has been finishing some where in the neighborhood of Jet fuel in strength. I just started the 4th gallon at an OG of 1.088 & aprox 12% PA and 22.5% sugar. I am going to try to catch it at around 1.025 which should give me a cider of aprox 9% Alcohol and a sugar of around 6.5%.
My question is will potassium sorbate/camden tablets be sufficient to stop the fermentation completely? I'm hoping to end up with a sweeter cider, will the fermentation start back up with this much sugar still in the cider? I don't want a bottle bomb.
This is the last of my champagne yeast, i'm going to try Nottingham or maybe Safale S-04, and suggestions for a yeast that has lower Alcohol tolerance and will finish sweet?

I highly suggest you try the Easy Stovetop Pasteurization Technique. Sorbate might do it, but if not, you have a dry apple wine with a lot of chemicals. If you have a spare fridge, cold crashing is another option. This will remove the yeast, so you need to be able to keg.

No yeast will really finish sweet since all of the sugars in apple juice are fermentable. Unlike wort, which has a lot of dextrins and long chained sugars yeast can't get to. I do like ale yeasts because they ferment slower than wine/champagne yeasts. That gives you more time to stop the cider where you want it.

Thanks I think you have solved my problem. Thanks for that link and I'll give the ale yeasts a try next batch. The champagne yeast is pumping like a racecar I can see how it could be hard to catch it at the right gravity.

Yeah trying to stop the fermentation using k-sorbate might not work in a really active fermentation. It does work REALLY well when fermentation is slowed, though. But in your case it would be pretty hard to stop the fermentation right where you want it with k-sorbate.

Back