Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Bourbon Vanilla Porter (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to rack to secondary this weekend. My plan is to soak some oak chips i use for wine in the whiskey and add 2 ounces vanilla extract and let it sit in the primary for a few weeks then bottle. How does that sound? ok?
or should i do it different?

my gravitiy is still around 1.018 or so... so its been in primary for a few weeks...

this is a famous recipe by denny conn that can be found all over the internet. I thought i'd share it here for your brewing pleasure.

This is a big, full-bodied, full-flavored beer. It's like drinking a meal. When i brew it, i usually only add the maker's mark to 1/2 of the batch. Some people love the bourbon flavor, others don't care for it.

The vanilla flavor is best from whole vanilla beans, but if you can't find them, then make sure you use pure vanilla extract, not the imitation stuff.

A note on the volumes. This is a big grain bill and requires you to sparge more than normal. You will collect much more wort and will also have to boil for longer (90-120 mins). If you don't, then your efficiency and og will be low.

Recipe type: All grain
yeast: American ale (wyeast labs #1056)
batch size (gallons): 5.5
original gravity: 1.078
final gravity: 1.018
ibu: 32
boiling time (minutes): 60
color: 30.8 srm

ingredients
amount item type % or ibu
11.00 lb brewers malt 2-row (briess) (1.8 srm) grain 64.7 %
2.50 lb munich malt (9.0 srm) grain 14.7 %
1.50 lb brown malt (65.0 srm) grain 8.8 %
1.00 lb caramel/crystal malt -120l (120.0 srm) grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb caramel/crystal malt - 40l (40.0 srm) grain 2.9 %
0.50 lb chocolate malt (350.0 srm) grain 2.9 %
0.75 oz magnum [14.00%] (60 min) hops 29.1 ibu
1.00 oz goldings, east kent [5.00%] (10 min) hops 5.0 ibu
2.00 items vanilla bean (secondary 14.0 days) misc
1 pkgs american ale (wyeast labs #1056) yeast-ale

edit: Another, more recent version uses 1.25 lbs chocolate malt. That seems like a lot to me, but i've never brewed it that way. For me, it's plenty dark/bold enough using .5 lbs. Go with what sounds best to you. :d

mash profile
name: Single infusion, light body, batch sparge
mash grain weight: 17.00 lb
grain temperature: 72.0 f
sparge temperature: 168.0 f
sparge water: 3.6 gal

name description step temp step time
mash in add 21.25 qt of water at 161.4 f 150.0 f 75 min

notes:
After primary, slit open 2 vanilla beans. Scrape the insides, chop the pods into quarters, add to secondary fermenter, rack beer onto vanilla. Taste periodically for the correct balance.

Rack to bottling bucket and add 1.5-2.5 oz/gal of maker's mark (to your taste). Original recipe called for 10 ml/pint.

a

I'm hoping to make an extract version of this soon. I've seen a couple different extract versions of this in here, does anyone have any personal experience with any of them or recommend any of them in particular? They differ slightly in terms of ingredients...any input would be greatly appreciated :D

I just cracked my first bottle of this, and it's unreal. It's so smooth, and has rootbeer notes along with a very pleasant aroma.
I used over half a bottle of Woodford Reserve Bourbon, which already had a vanilla bean in it, and two vanilla beans in the beer.
I will definitely be making this one again, and soon. That first bottle was gone in under a minute, so I doubt this will last long.

I just cracked my first bottle of this, and it's unreal. It's so smooth, and has rootbeer notes along with a very pleasant aroma.

Mine tasted just like Dr. Pepper for about a week. Next time I'll be making 10 gallons!

Made a batch on the 19th. Used a english ale yeast and going to be moving to a secondary later this week with some french oak that has been soaking in bourbon. Smells and taste great so far!

Just untapped a batch with friends. They said it is remarkable. I think the key is high quality ingredients. I used Madagascar vanilla beans and Makers Mark. Of course the recipe was spot on with proportions. Will be making a 10 gallon batch next time.

Bottled mine Monday night after getting home from work. Although it was 1:30 am so I guess it was Tuesday morning. It was either that or wait another 5 days for my next day off.

I made this last February and added vanilla and bourbon last week. Before adding these I noticed some bright cherry-fruity notes that would otherwise not be wanted. After adding them I named it my cherry-vanilla-bourbon porter. A great dessert beer - I am lovin this one! :rockin:

Brewed this up about a month ago. In a glass secondary right now with bourbon soaked oak chips. Gonna run it through a Randall filled with vanilla beans when finally on tap. Aiming for March-ish. Hoping to impart extra oak flavors! Tastes great out of the hydrometer.

Thank for the recipe!

Cheers!

This is a famous recipe by Denny Conn that can be found all over the internet. I thought I'd share it here for your brewing pleasure.

This is a big, full-bodied, full-flavored beer. It's like drinking a meal. When I brew it, I usually only add the Maker's Mark to 1/2 of the batch. Some people love the bourbon flavor, others don't care for it.

The vanilla flavor is best from whole vanilla beans, but if you can't find them, then make sure you use pure vanilla extract, not the imitation stuff.

A note on the volumes. This is a big grain bill and requires you to sparge more than normal. You will collect much more wort and will also have to boil for longer (90-120 mins). If you don't, then your efficiency and OG will be low.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.078
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: 32
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 30.8 SRM

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 64.7 %
2.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 14.7 %
1.50 lb Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 8.8 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2.9 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.9 %
0.75 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 29.1 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (10 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
2.00 items Vanilla Bean (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

EDIT: another, more recent version uses 1.25 lbs chocolate malt. That seems like a lot to me, but I've never brewed it that way. For me, it's plenty dark/bold enough using .5 lbs. Go with what sounds best to you. :D

Mash Profile
Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Mash Grain Weight: 17.00 lb
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 3.6 gal

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 21.25 qt of water at 161.4 F 150.0 F 75 min

Notes:
After primary, slit open 2 vanilla beans. Scrape the insides, chop the pods into quarters, add to secondary fermenter, rack beer onto vanilla. Taste periodically for the correct balance.

Rack to bottling bucket and add 1.5-2.5 oz/gal of Maker's Mark (to your taste). Original recipe called for 10 ml/pint.

View attachment 12971

I am new to brewing (only one partial grain batch under my belt). I've been told to start small with brewing. This beer sounds amazing! Is it too much for me in your opinion???

:rockin:

hi guys,
UK homebrewer here, with a few AG brews to date. I have a query with this recipe as the hop amounts seem very low, I say that as I don't use brewing software yet, essentially just follow forum/book recipes, which appear to be much higher. I guess the malt is the star here, not sure if the Bourbon makes a difference to the hop rate, but I want to order my ingredients and cant afford to get it wrong, so 0.65oz of Magnum and 0.4oz EKG, 5 USGal, correctomundo ?
top thread
cheers
IPA

I am new to brewing (only one partial grain batch under my belt). I've been told to start small with brewing. This beer sounds amazing! Is it too much for me in your opinion???

:rockin:

I wouldn't be intimidated by it. Just go for it. I'm sure you'll learn something new about brewing in the process.

hi guys,
UK homebrewer here, with a few AG brews to date. I have a query with this recipe as the hop amounts seem very low, I say that as I don't use brewing software yet, essentially just follow forum/book recipes, which appear to be much higher. I guess the malt is the star here, not sure if the Bourbon makes a difference to the hop rate, but I want to order my ingredients and cant afford to get it wrong, so 0.65oz of Magnum and 0.4oz EKG, 5 USGal, correctomundo ?
top thread
cheers
IPA

The original recipe calls for .75 oz Magnum for 5.5 gallons, so .65 for 5.0 gallons would probably be close enough. I think I'd still go for the full oz of the EKG (as per the original recipe) for the late addition, though, since the IBU impact is going to be much smaller and the batch volume difference is not likely to make much difference.

thanks LLB, it just seems that 0.65 oz for bittering hops seems low, EKG I assume is there for aroma as its 10 min addition ?

Denny ...

Was thinking of transferring this to a keg @ 10 days in fermenter (it will be complete). Was going to go ahead & add the vanilla bean, bourbon & corn sugar also.

Let it condition in keg for the remainder of 4 weeks & then tap.

Any issues with the bean & bourbon in there that long IYO? 2 beans & 375 ML in a 5.5 gal keg.

Thanks!

:)just brewed 38 litres, however FG has ended up at 1.102 !
Not sure where I went wrong, and if this is too high for the yeast, ( 2 packets of us05 in one bucket, and a 100g of my local micros yeast in the other)
I have tried 2 hydrometers, and temp is 20'C.
My grain bill is
Pale 10KG
Brown 1.36kg
Crystal 450g
Munich 2.2kg
Crystal 900g
Choc 454g

just resampled each bucket, and both come in at 1.082, big relief.
I think there was maybe break material in my original sample.
hooray
and yeast is already kicking in :mug:

I conditioned ~6.5 gallons in a 1/4 barrel with 5 oz of corn sugar for 10 days & then tapped.

CO2 regulated @ 10 PSI.

Seems to be almost perfect.

So you used 5 oz sugar and then set PSI to 10, or did you either do 5 oz sugar or set PSI to 10 without sugar?

5 OZ for 10 days and then set it at 10 PSI.

Sorry... Wasn't on this beer. Was on a dark IPA but should work all the same. Doing the same with this one though. Has been on the corn sugar for 3 days now.

I just have never been crazy about force carbonation. Has been very inconsistent for me. Probably more of my doing than the technique itself though.

I will be looking to bottle my brew, still got a foamy head on it at the mo, one week in. I was wondering instead of using snormal brewing sugar, I could use the Belgian Candy sugar, which I haven't used before, but it seems that it may go well here?

10 days in and still plenty of foam on the surface, from the US05 and liquid yeast in the 2nd fermenter. Should I expect a longer primary ferment given the high abv. Previous brews have dropped all foam and started to clear by now.
I may draw off a sample to test with the hydrometer to see how far on it is.

I used the same yeast and had similar results... Took almost two weeks. Finished @ 1.020.

What was your OG? Mine was 1.083

OG 1082
just taken samples, USO5 1028, liquid yeast (local micro sourced, unconfirmed variety) 1022.

I just had a bomber of this that I bottled back in November. Its such a great beer. Great flavors, with just the right balance of roast and sweetness. I used Buffalo Trace Bourbon and Pure Madagascar Vanilla Extract. I will be making this again for sure. Dont forget to age it a bit! Seems to really help it out!

just realised that the crystal I used for this was 60 and 120 EBC, but the recipe states 40 and 120L, it's smelling good in the garage and tastes ok, dark, grainy, coffee-ish, but maybe not as tasty as it should be doh !
I forgot to check the conversion :(

Finally tapped my keg last night. Didn't use bourbon per se'. Used Jack Daniels.

It is a fabulous beer that is best savored. Tons of rich flavor with a pretty swift kick.

Mine turned out at approx 9% ABV. 1.083 OG 1.017 FG (after JD addition of 250 ML into 5 gallons)

1013751_10203129706793267_1403272896_n.jpg

I brewed this for the second time last Labor Day weekend. I kegged it a couple of weeks later and it's been sitting in the keg in my basement until about 3 or so weeks ago when it finally made its way to an available tap... on nitro. Damn, I forgot just how tasty this brew is and the nitro just takes it to the next level.

Bourbon Vanilla Porter2.jpg

Finally tapped my keg last night. Didn't use bourbon per se'. Used Jack Daniels.

It is a fabulous beer that is best savored. Tons of rich flavor with a pretty swift kick.

Mine turned out at approx 9% ABV. 1.083 OG 1.017 FG (after JD addition of 250 ML into 5 gallons)

1013751_10203129706793267_1403272896_n.jpg

How long did you boil for? I misread it and only did 60 mins and my OG was way low.

So, last time I made this, I just happened to have two vanilla beans sitting in a bottle of Woodford Reserve, so I used that, and it was delicious. After about 5 months, though, the flavours really mellowed out, and it was more like a typical (although very nice) porter.

This time, I have these coffee beans that were aged in bourbon barrels, and have quite a pronounced bourbon flavour. I was thinking of using pale chocolate malt to get some chocolate flavour without adding the roast coffee flavour, then getting those coffee notes through the beans, which would hopefully impart that bourbon aroma.

I've never used coffee beans in a beer before, though, so I'm not sure if it will alter the recipe too harshly. Any ideas?

Several coffee infused porters out there but none that also have bourbon also. At least that I am aware of.

The coffee flavoring inherently lends itself well to porters as well as stouts.

Coffee plus bourbon may overpower things. But maybe not. Would be an interesting batch to test for sure.

Latest posts

Back