Using two chillers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugrad02

Reaction score
I made a wort chiller a few years ago and it works well but takes quite a while to cool down my 5 gallon batches and I hate the idea of wasting all of that water.

I had the idea of making another one to attach to the same "line" as the other. The water would go from my outdoor hose spigot to wort chiller #1 which is sitting in an ice bath, then flow to wort chiller #2 which would be in my hot wort. Do you all think this would be worth the cost and effort? Would this system cool down the wort much quicker?

Yes, it will help to chill faster - particularly if your ground water is pretty warm. In NC, you will likely see a big reduction in cooling time. Get a nice pre-chiller set up in a five gallon bucket, and you can fill it with ice water during the boil and have it ready to go when you hook up the main chiller.

What a novel idea...
P1040402.jpg

Is this better than pumping ice cold water through your wort chiller? I use a small fountian pump in a cooler filled with ice and water after running tap water through for the first 5 minutes. I chill 5 gallons in about 20-25 minutes. My tap water is 80° too.

Pumping ice water through your chiller is more effective than using a pre-chiller, in my experience. I run tap water through my chiller to knock the temperature down to about 100º F, then switch to pumping ice water. I have a submersible 1/6 hp pump I got from Harbor Freight for about $50. I put this into a 20 gallon plastic tub with about 10-12 gallons of ice water and recirculate the water through my chiller to get down to pitching temperature. While I waste a few gallons cooling with tap water, it doesn't take very long to get to about 100º and the few gallons I use to recirculate is quite a bit less than what I would use trying to get from 100º to pitching temp. with tap water, or even with pre-chilled tap water.

Back