Gas and Beverage tube sizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkatuw

Reaction score
Last week I ordered all the parts to brew and keg homebrew and most of the stuff arrived today (I'm so anxious to get all the parts, I don't know how I'll wait 6+ weeks for the beer to ferment and condition :) ).

I ordered 3/16in ID hose for the beer line, and it doesn't quite fit over the ball lock quick disconnect barbs, but I've read that I can fix that by soaking the hose in hot water before trying to fit it over the barb.

My biggest concern is the gas line. I ordered 5/16in ID hose for the gas line, because that's the size listed for the 4-way manifold I ordered. But it fits loosely over the ball lock quick disconnect. Is a hose clamp going to be enough to keep this air tight, or should I drop down to 1/4in ID hose and soak it in hot water to fit it over the barb on the manifold?

Do most people with kegerators use 3/16in ID hose for beer and 5/16in ID for the gas line?

Can't wait til Saturday when I have time to brew my first batch! I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas, only instead of Santa, I'm waiting for the UPS and FedEx drivers. Tomorrow my corny kegs are supposed to be delivered.

I use 3/16 for everything. Try to get a tight fit before you clamp it, that way the clamp is keeping it from leaking, not keeping it on.

Bobby_M said:
I'm assuming he carbs the scots at 1 volume which is really low pressure. At 3/16", it would take 5 minutes to pour (exageration)

Dead on. At 50F and 1.3 volumes (high end for Scottish Ale), you only need 2.5psi and 3/16" line only 3" long to get a good pour (2 oz/sec). Don't know about you, but I can't do much with 3" of line. 1/4" line lets you use 4 times as much for the same pressure drop. If you run a foot of 3/16", you would have to double the psi and it would be overcarbonated for the style. It is really the only style with that issue because of how low the carbonation should be.

The line size for the Co2 doesn't really matter, unless you're planning on dispensing beer commercially. (Like, at the ball park.) Use whatever is cheapest, and fits.

Line for beer, well, let's just say, others here have addressed this. It isn't an easy subject.

steve

skou said:
Line for beer, well, let's just say, others here have addressed this. It isn't an easy subject.

steve
It isn't easy, so I posted a line length and pressure calculator in the software forum that does all of the calculations for you. You just enter the style of your beer and some length measurements of your system, and it tells you what pressure and line length to use.

Back