valves/fittings ordered, hole directions needed..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krenshaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i have my 2 kegs cut open from the top, and waiting for my shipments from bobby and bargainfittings to continue.. in the meantime i was wondering about location of the fittings to be drilled/welded into my BK and HLK..

i've noticed a lot of talk about where from the bottom up to put holes, as to make it as low as possible but still flush and not on the curved part, but i haven't found much about the location with regards to which part of the keg..

i saw pics of people that have their valves located directly below the handle of the keg toward the bottom, which makes me think it may be easier to pick up from the sides of your brew rig..

i've also seen some that have them installed almost at a 45 degree angle on the side with the thermometer and sighttube more in the middle, my guess is it would be less of a bend in your tubing to transfer from one vessel to the next (whether using a pump or not)

any discussion on what you all do, or is it more of a valve in the bottom middle, thermometer slightly above that, and tube (if you have one) to the left or right a bit? i also remember recently reading a thread where somebody mentioned it is better for nothing to be located to the left of the valve (when looking at the keg) but i can't remember why..

As low as possible, but still on the flat surface. I have my valve mounted right between the two handles and in the middle of two of the vent holes on the bottom, so it's away from the flame. I mounted my thermo/sight glass on the next section over from the valve, but about the same height. The lowest reading I can get from my sight tube is 4 gallons.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/belgian-horse-221075/

Back