Heatstick Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rono73

Reaction score
Hi! I'm building my first heatstick to experiment with, and was wondering if there was a preference - Right Angle of Straight? Thanks!

Keep in mind the additional length the elbow adds to the element relative to the diameter of the kettle.

All four of mine are 90* at the bottom, and have a 180* trap piece at the top. I could not use a straight one in my kettles without filling them very full. A straight one would also be harder to use in my rectangular cooler mash tun. I like the hook at the top for avoiding having any splash get down inside, and also for hooking them onto the side of my kettles. I am using kettles, not keggles, so there is no inner lip to clear.

Mine is 180*. I've never actually done it but I've come very close to pulling the element out of the liquid on accident. I can see how this wouldn't be such a problem with the 90*. If I didn't already have the 180* one built I would definitely make a 90*.

I have used all straight sticks for years, Actually have four of em now, and don't really see the benefit of an angled stick. I am always heating at lest enough to cover the element. Cleaning and dealing with an oversized heat stick with a bend seems like a hassle to me...I like em straight and would never consider building one with a 90...jmho...cheers!

Back