Two brews, one trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnerm109a6

Reaction score
So I'm brewing an oatmeal pumpkin stout soon and I thought about putting either a cider or Graff on the trub. Has anyone done something like this? Would I need to inoculate the cider/wort or will there be enough yeast in the trub?

Cheers!:mug:

There will be way too much yeast, at least for beer-making purposes. I was going to type out why, but someone more knowledgeable than I already did that better than I would: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why-not-pitch-your-yeast-cake-166221/ Just read the first post, not the whole thread. Trust me. For making cider, probably not all of that is applicable, but certainly the autolysis portion applies. There's also the issue that your cider would pick up some flavors from the stout, which is fine if you're into that sort of thing. Others have reported using about 1/4 of their cake to ferment the next beer. Your imperial probably produced a much larger cake than would a standard beer, so I'd say 1/8 to 1/6 for your cider/graff would be a decent pitch rate.

Old yeast cakes will slightly flavor new beer, so it is always a good idea when you re-use a yeast cake to plan on moving to heavier/maltier styles each time, NOT to lighter style.

If you reuse a stout yeast cake for a cider, you are going to end up with a slight stout taste in your cider. If you're into that kinda thing, go for it, but it sounds like a bad idea to me.

Back