Vanilla extract addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erythro73

Reaction score
Hi,
I've brewed my first batch (I posted several threads here these past weeks), it now sits in the primary for the 9th days and... well, so far so good (knock on wood). The recipe I'm following, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/none-more-black-vanilla-stout-96969/ is calling for 14 days in primary before racking in secondary on top of 2.5 tbsp (which will be, for me, 1.25 because I did a 2.5 gallons batch) of vanilla extract.

However, I'm wondering. Do I have to sanitize this vanilla extract? I mean, do I have to boil it in water before usage, or is it safe to just throw it in secondary on top of which I'll rack the beer?

if you take it straight out of a bottle you opened a few seconds before then no you don't need to sanitize it. besides extracts have a fair amount of alcohol already in them which would kill anything you need to worry about.

word of warning with extracts. some are stronger than others. i would start with about half the recipe amount and taste it on bottling day. if you think it needs more then add more.

I would not boil the vanilla.

FYI there are 2 type of vanilla extract. Pure and Imitation. The pure extract is expensive but way better tasting then the imitation. You sould be able to find both at any supermarket

Yeah, my gf bought "Natural" vanilla extract (as opposed to artificial vanilla extract) just for my homebrewing needs ;).

Back