HELP! Freon Recharge...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_the_greek

Reaction score
OK guys and gals, I hope this is in the correct section, but here goes.... I've got a true TDD-3 that needs a freon recharge. Well, the thing was purchased for $70 or so and worked for many years without a problem, other than being loud as heck when the compressor kicks on. That said, it finally stopped chilling.

I'm 95% sure I need to recharge the freon, that said the unit is old and I noticed it said R12 on the door. I assumed I was SOL. I remembered that the previous owner had a "new" used compressor put it, I checked on the compressor and it says R134a! So I was pretty happy about that. I was pretty excited about these findings and as such went down to the auto store to buy some refrigerant.... turns out that the old R12 fittings are still in place! Is there an adapter or fitting I can use to overcome this? Ideas people, I need ideas! Christmas party is coming up in a week, I need my keggerator up and running!

What makes you so sure that it needs just a recharge? Refrigerant doesn't get used up in a closed system. Have you found a Freon leak and repaired it? Odds are that the compressor's valves have degraded and are leaking.

Is the compressor still running is it getting hot, if you have a leak and need a charge you still have a leak after you charge,find out the problem before you make a diagnosis. MHO

Back