Advice needed on a watermelon ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cm_laflamme

Reaction score
Currently have a watermelon ale in the primary, was aiming for something with a slight watermelon finish. While the beer is pretty delicious the watermelon was a bit more subdued than I would've liked. The recipe was as follows:
6lb Briess Pilsen Light DME
1lb honey at flameout
1oz Citra @60
.25oz Citra @10
.25oz Citra @flameout
1 dram LorAnn Watermelon Flavor in primary
Notty Ale yeast

Would it be possible to rack on top of some fresh watermelon without it overwhelming the rest of the beer, and if so how much? Thanks in advance for any help!

The Basic Brewing guys did a watermelon beer using only water from straining watermelons. Their conclusion was after a month or so the beer wasn't too great but I think they aged it for 6m-1y and it was a much better beer.

I use fresh watermelon juice in the secondary for my watermelon wheat, and it tastes great when young. Five cups in 5 gal gives a pretty pronounced watermelon flavor - you might want to go 3-4. DubbelDach's thread in the fruit beer recipes gives a nice pictorial on juicing a watermelon.

I used two cups of pureed watermelon (really juicy, with no fruit chunks) in secondary for about a week before packaging. It was good like that- a big hint of watermelon but no "jolly ranchers" taste.

I used two cups of pureed watermelon (really juicy, with no fruit chunks) in secondary for about a week before packaging. It was good like that- a big hint of watermelon but no "jolly ranchers" taste.

sadly this is why i dont drink watermelon brews anymore...cant find one thats acually "fresh" tasting
and to me the hell or high watermelon from 21st amendment has the worst butter/diacetyl taste i have ever experienced

Back