1st time racking into Corny keg - need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bastido

Reaction score
I'm about to rack my latest batch of brew into a recently purchased soda keg. Do I need to put priming sugar in this or not? I've heard two different stories.

Thanks for the help!

If you are not going to carbonate with your co2 tank, then yes you need to use the priming sugar. If you are going to put the keg in teh kegerator and hook up the gas and leave it hooked up then no. Just hook up the co2, purge a few times, then set it at 10-12psi and leave it hooked up for at least a week.

You can put priming sugar in if you are going to let it sit a few weeks and naturally carb, just like you do bottling. But if you are force carbing, Do not use priming sugar!

I will be carbonating with CO2 in our kegerator. Does it still need to sit, age, ferment, in the corny keg for a few weeks before serving? I just brewed it about a week ago.

let it sit in the fermentor for another couple of weeks before you rack it. Give the yeast time to clean up a bit and it will clear your beer a bit too.

What brew is it.

A week is really early to be kegging most brews. If it's a extract brew and it finished fermenting in a day or 2 then it may be okay.
I can pretty much guarantee the last pint you pull will be the best so on that premise it would be better to leave it in the fermenter a little longer then in the keg for a week or so.

The longer it's in the fermenter the less time it'll need in the keg.

And no you don't need to use priming sugar if you are force carbonationg.

It's a True Brew nut brown extract. Also can someone please explain force carbonating. I'm really new to homebrewing, but would like to learn as much as I can.

Latest posts

Back