dry hops suspended particles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcbogantes

Reaction score
Does the debri from dry hops affect the readings of the hydrometer?

My hydrometer is calibrated to 15 celsius. What is the corrected reading of FG 1,022 at 71,6 F?

I made a huge mistake then!
Last night I was getting readings between 1,020 and 1,024 (there were lots of debris yeast debri and hops) and even-dough I was spinning the hydrometer I wasn't sure but I bottled my all-grain IPA...damm it!

What is going to be the most-likely result?

a sweet cloudy IPA? what was your recipe? thats far higher than id ever want an ipa and potentially a bottle bomb risk. how long has this been fermenting?

The Expected FG was 1,020.
This is my first all-grain and I mash the grains in cooler for 1,5 hours but at the beginin of the mash the temperature was a bit higher.
I'm guessing if there were lots of non-fermentable sugar in the wort due to a higher temp mash maybe these sugars are messing up with my hydrometer readings...is that possible?

They wouldn't really mess up your readings. You would just end up with more unfermentable sugars leaving you with a higher FG. You may have mentioned this already so sorry if you did but.... Did you just take one reading or did you take 2 readings a few days apart?

That's cutting it pretty close. To be safe I'd put the beers in boxes and wrap the boxes in a towel or two in case they blow. For the future.... Either give the beer a couple more days to make sure it's finished fermenting or take gravity readings a couple days apart to make sure it's finished up.

Latest posts

Back