No Action

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomersbrew

Reaction score
Ok guy's help me out here if you can.

Did an all grain porter yesterday batch went into fermenter at 1:30 pm.
Gravity reading was right on the money,had good action going on in the air lock till about 5:30pm tonight,now it seems like its dead in the water,any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Ok guy's help me out here if you can.

Did an all grain porter yesterday batch went into fermenter at 1:30 pm.
Gravity reading was right on the money,had good action going on in the air lock till about 5:30pm tonight,now it seems like its dead in the water,any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Sounds fine!

I've had beers ferment out in 24 hours before, and it's not uncommon especially if you had the fermenter on the warm side. Keep it where it is for the next week or two, then check the SG to make sure it's done. Try to keep it in the mid 60s if you can, depending on the yeast strain you've used.

Sometimes a fast and furious fermentation causes the fermenter to get very hot inside which can cause esters, phenols, and fusel alcohol flavors in the beer. That's my only concern with a quick ferment- it's much harder to control the temperature. Leaving it sit a week or two will help "clean it up" a bit.

Bubbling or lack of bubbling means very little, except that it is not expelling excess co2...it's not a "fermentation gauge" it is just a vent to release excess CO2....the only gauge is your hydrometer.....

If you opened the fermenter, or even moved or nudged it, you could have dispelled the co2..hence no bubbling....nothing to worry about one bit....

Latest posts

Back