Help with first mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajhuddl1977

Reaction score
So besides basic nutrients for yeast and the 1:3 honey water ratio. Are there any crucial things to know before I start my first mead brew?

Look at the temp range of your yeast and stay within that range, take temp of the must not your room. Stir for first five to seven days, no need to airlock until that time. Consider staggered nutrient additions--I believe there is a sticky explaining SNA. And have patience, mead typically takes much longer than wine to finish fermenting and aging. Please, use a hydrometer.
Have fun fermenting (not brewing).

A small pH meter can also help. Traditional type batches have little to buffer the quite wild swings in pH so you need to know if it gets too low which can cause issues.

For yeasts, it's helpful to know of any that are commonly recommended/used but still carry a caveat. The 2 that come to mind are D47 which has been found to produce a lot of fusels when used in honey musts above 70F/21C and 71B-1122 which like D47 makes a good mead but is known to produce autolysis type off flavours if the batch is left on the lees/sediment too long after the ferment has finished. A max of about 2 months has been found to be a safe guesstimate. Any longer isnt thought to be good.

Back