Capturing/Propagating Cultures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessWinter77

Reaction score
Im new to cheesemaking, just made a fresh acid coagulated goat cheese (goat milk+heat+vinegar) Very disappointed to say the least (had visions of creamy tangy Chevre).

Now ive done some research, and it looks like I need to move on to using lactic bacteria cultures and rennet to get the expected textures and flavors.

My main question is, is there a way to capture and propagate my own cultures? Ive read about getting cultures from buttermilk or yogurt, or just buying manufactured cultures.

Well, I'm pretty sure that 100's of years ago, cheese makers did not go to the store and buy buttermilk, or buy pre-manufactured cultures. How do the professionals go about capturing and propagating cultures in their cheesemaking? Is there a way for me to do this as well?

I don't like the idea of buying a manufactured culture, it seems to me like that would be like buying a crappy beginners extract brewing kit- No room for creativity and personalization.

The store bought rennet I think I can deal with.... Until I get motivation to slaughter an animal and dig through its stomach(s).

I disagree with your thought process. I look at it more like buying my yeast instead of harvesting and farming it but to each his own . . . this may help ya some
FAQ-Cheesemaking and Ripening

Thanks for the info, that was helpful. I do like you're comparison to buying yeast as well... if I look at it that way, it makes more sense to me.

Do you (or anyone) happen to know, though, do all professional cheese-makers, especially the small and local variety start out purchasing cultures such as the ones for sale online? (I would assume the larger and corporate cheese-makers have expensive labs where they can cultivate and modify their own culture strains)

Back