how to be sure this is corn sugar (mislabeled kit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
I am going to bottle my hefe kit tomorrow.

I checked my equipment and noticed the bag that I thought was sugar has a sticker that says Irish moss on it.

The kit also came with a tablet that said Irish moss that I used during the boil.

The bag of white powder seems sweet. It weighs about 4 ounces.

I'm 98% sure it's just mislabeled but thought I'd ask opinions?

Thanks.

I realise the kit didn't come from us but...Irish moss is seaweed. Seaweed or Irish Moss will never be a white powder. You have a bag of corn sugar for priming.

Corn sugar will be less sweet than granulated sugar, but not vastly so, with a light and cool sort of mouth feel.

If it's just four ounces that's not meant as a major fermentable, though: sounds like that's your priming sugar to me.

Supermoss is a white powder but they would never give of 4oz of it. Just use table sugar for priming if you're really concerned.

Corn sugar taste like smarties candy. It is the same thing as smarties just with out any food dye.

eat some irish moss sometime and you will KNOW it's not sugar.

Just looking at my bag of corn sugar I would say that if you look closely it looks closer to corn starch (powder like) than table sugar, which is sort of gritty when you look at it.

Latest posts

Back