Extract Kit Storage Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
I got an extract kit from northern brewer today and immediately put yeast in fridge. I am wondering what I should do with dry extract, liquid extract, hops, and specialty grains until I get around to brewing it probably in a week or so. also some of the grains look like they've been crushed into a powder should i send it back?

Put the hops in the freezer and, as you've already done, the yeast in the fridge. Everything else will do just fine sitting out provided that it doesn't get super hot or wet.

You'll always have some flour (powder) when your grain is milled. Completely normal.

For a short time (and in your case), yes. Long term, no. They lose their potency at higher temperatures quicker. I just make a habit of always putting them in the freezer.

Im pretty new to this as well but I might be able to help until the pro's chime in. Put your hops in the freezer, yeast in the fridge (but take out within 3-5 hours before your ready to pitch it), I have heard that uncanned (My local brew store sells em in pails for cheaper) malt extract will need to be used within a week and the canned stuff is good to go for at least a few months. In regards to the grains looking like powder there most likely "Crushed" and are good to go.

Hope this helps. Good luck

alright guess i will put them in freezer. how long should i take them out to thaw before using them? also do you remove them from the metal pouch they came in?

alright guess i will put them in freezer. how long should i take them out to thaw before using them? also do you remove them from the metal pouch they came in?

No need to thaw. They're good for immediate use. Leave them sealed in the pouch until you're ready to use them.

allright cool thanks. yeast is in fridge and hops are in freezer. malt extract in milk jug and dry malt extract as well as corn sugar are in the box it came in downstairs to get it out of heat. will probably wait a week or so to brew. will probably get the batch in fermenter now bottled this weekend

If you had your specialty grains crushed, you should use them as soon as possible. A week or two shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't wait a month. If you are buying several kits at one time to take advantage of the flat rate shipping, make sure your specialty grains are not milled. You can store them longer. When you are ready to brew, you can crush the grains with a rolling pin.

yeah i know i wasn't planning on ordering a second kit yet but they had that limited edition innkeeper kit and i couldn't help myself. heck i might even brew it this weekend after i bottle my other batch if i feel like it. probably next weekend for sure though

Back