Sulfur smell in my weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sprucetip

Reaction score
Used Wyeast 3068. Have an impressively vigorous fermentation going, but about 24 hours after pitching, getting some sulfur notes mixed in with the strong banana nose. Is this typical or normal? Or might it be infected? Will it dissipate? Is there anything I can do?

One mistake we made was overfilling the carboy. Had failed to note, until it was too late, that 33% head space is advised for this yeast. So the stopper and blowoff tube were blown clean out of carboy overnight! So infection is certainly a possibility.

Thank you.

I've never used 3068, but I've used WLP351, 380, and the dry WB-06 yeast. I got a lot of sulpher with all of them. All fermented at 62 degrees. On all of them the sulpher eventually disapated. I think you're fine...

That was one tenaciouos fermentation. Smell is already back to almost all banana, and several bubbles a second 24 hours ago is now about 4 bubbles per minute. And it's only about 2.25 days in the carboy. Made a starter and also added some yeast nutrient for the first time. I'll definitely leave more head space next time I use 3068, we lost over a gallon into the blow off bucket.

Back