crazy Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drkwoods

Reaction score
I have Banjo burners on my Brutus Hybrid. They are running on low pressure LP controlled by Honeywell VR8200's. The regulator ahead of the Valves is the Marshall Dual Stage regulator. My problem is..The burners just put out too much yellow flame for my liking. I noticed when I blew air into the air mix opening, (venturi) that the flame cleaned up nicely. So I grabbed a small computer fan and forced air into that opening and the flame stayed perfect blue..

the crazy question is this..

Do you think I could simply add a small powered (adjustable) air injector to the fresh air mix opening and get consistant results by adjusting the forced air? If so, my idea is to add a plastic valve controlled tube off a 120v inflator.. opinions??

Did you adjust the gas pressure at the gas valve to 11" WC? That is typically the issue when the flame needs more air.

I don't have a way of measuring 11" WC. But I did adjust that screw all the way in and all the way out. The only adjustment with a pure blue flame was almost all the way out and at that position the flame was so small and weak I'd call it useless for brewing. It's a bummer cause so little extra air is needed. It's almost just a whisper to clean up the flame

What size hole is in the orifice? The 10" banjo burners typically come with a small hole designed for high pressure LP. I had the exact same problem and drilled or out with a 3/32" bit and opened the air baffle all the way up to get a perfect flame. Another dumb question. Is the gas valves converted to handle LP?

Im using these (the one on the right) http://www.brewershardware.com/Valve-and-LPG-Orifice-for-BURN10.html
They are for converting to LP gas at 11" WC.. from the normal HP orifice that comes with a Banjo
(The one on the Left being for Natural Gas an the one on the right is for low pressure LP)
Buying the LP one is saving me the silly drilling process to guess which orifice will work.
They DONT convert high pressure gas to low pressure.. The convert the Burner so it'll run on Low pressure

NgasnLP.gif

There's your problem. The one on the left would be for natural gas and LP at low pressure (11" WC) and the one on the right is for high pressure LP. You can drill it out really easily with a 3/32" bit. There are plenty of post on here about it. I had the exact same issue and it was completely fixed after I drilled it out. Good luck.

I have no information on your situation but if the guy in the video turns that thing up any more he will launch that keg into orbit!

Using the same regulator, we drill the orifice to .057 and it works at low and high pressure. The regulator 'should' be adjustable as well as your Honeywell valve.

The adjustment on the gas valve is to be able to take incoming pressure and get it up or down to 11"WC. They are not designed to work much higher than that. After I drilled mine out and adjusted to gas valve I got a flame that is about 5" high and solid blue. My temperature rise is about 3 degrees a minute, so I would they are pretty effective.

There's your problem. The one on the left would be for natural gas and LP at low pressure (11" WC) and the one on the right is for high pressure LP. You can drill it out really easily with a 3/32" bit. There are plenty of post on here about it. I had the exact same issue and it was completely fixed after I drilled it out. Good luck.

I think you missed something here. The orifice im using is the proper one for converting to LP.. Its Made to use at 11"WC.. Im not going to drill an orifce thats already correct..I bought from them to avoid any drilling.. These orifices DONT convert high pressure gas to low pressure.. The convert the Burner so it'll run on Low pressure. Which I already have

Here's the info from their web site on that orifice:

"This combination orifice and control valve is designed for our BURN10 10" Cast Iron Burner (or Banjo) to burn LPG propane at 11" WC. It has a 1/4"MPT thread on the orifice side and a 3/8" male flare on the inlet side. It is not a regulator and must be used with a regulator that supplies LPG propane at 11" WC. Fits other Banjo/Hurricane type burners and allows them to operate at low pressure 11" WC LPG.

What is WC Pressure? WC stands for Water Column and is measured in inches. It is a measurement of pressure under 1 PSI. Most gas companies deliver gas to your home at 7" to 11" WC. 27.7" WC is equal to 1 PSI."

and yes Im using a Marshall Gas Control Dual Stage reg to bring the LP down to 11"WC

I'm just stating my experience.Take or leave it. I hope you get it dialed in to your liking. Good luck and good beer.

Hey drk, have you done the propane conversion springs on your Honeywell valves?

Yea I did the conversion spring to LP
from the NG one that came installed. I did discover another thing while experimenting today. The distance between the burner and keg bottom is very sensitive. I added another heat shield around the keg skirt and dialed the orifice valve down just a hair and I finally got what I want. Blue flames with yellow tips. I appreciate the help guys!! and I do recommend buying these plug-n-play orifices for the banjos/hurricanes as they save a ton of hassle. And now I do not need to add any air. LOL

By the way De3isit no worries amigo ! I understand you were working on a fix for
Me an I totally appreciate it. I just think there may have been the misunderstanding that I was using a high pressure orifice with low pressure gas maybe? And the text in "quotations" on the above post was not me... That was the text describing the part I was using. Just wanted to make sure you knew I wasn't insulting you. Lol. Cheers!!

Not a problem. I'm glad you got what you wanted. I see you in Chino Hills. I'm in Murrieta. Maybe we could brew together in the future. Good luck.

Thanks for the invite. I don't know if I will be able to make it. Maybe next time.

Have you done a boil test since your changes? How quickly does it get to a boil? I am just curious as it took me an hour to get from 60 degrees to a rolling boil after my modifications.

Mine was a 10 gallon boil test. That's what most of my batches are so it made sense.
Good luck!

Back