Another Stuck Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAStout

Reaction score
I followed the OP recipe fairly closely but tweaked it to get it to the magic 9% of Chimay Blue.

I also used Amber Belgian Candy syrup instead also.

I did however split it into two 2.5 gallon batches one with WLP500 and one with WY1214

Ingredients used

Ingredients
-----------
Amber LME 3.30 lb, Extract, Extract
Aromatic Malt (Belgian) 0.25 lb, Grain, Steeped
Northern Brewer LME - Munich 6.00 lb, Extract, Extract
Candi Sugar, Amber (Belgian) 1.00 lb, Sugar, Other
CaraMunich 0.50 lb, Grain, Steeped
Munich (German) 2.00 lb, Grain, Steeped
Special "B" (Belgian) 0.50 lb, Grain, Steeped
Torrified Wheat 0.50 lb, Adjunct, Steeped

Hallertauer (Germany) 1.00 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Styrian Golding (Slovenia) 1.00 oz, Pellet, 30 minutes

This somehow hit exactly 1.09 OG. This batch was almost meant to be so far.

I am 3 weeks into the primary and the gravity is as follows.

WY1214 batch = 1.022
WLP500 Batch = 1.0215

Taste test was delicious. The 1214 batch smells a bit better, while I preferred the taste of 500 batch a bit more. By a bit I mean minuscule and I can already tell these will both be delicious.

Odds are I am going to just bottle this from primary after week 4 since my FG is hit and it already tastes magical.

I decided I am going to add some 1214 before bottling to make sure nothing dare goes wrong while conditioning.

I'll report back sometime towards the end of June after I know I will cave in and try some of each early.

Thanks for the initial blueprint.
Hello,

My wort gravity seems to be stuck at 1.030 for over two weeks now. Here’s the details.

I brewed Fattyliver’s recipe on Sept 5th. My OG was 1.086
I made the candi sugar, cooked it a bit darker than called for. It tasted very “roasty”.
I made one addition to the recipe – 0.2 lb puffed wheat.

My mash went like this:
Mashed everything in 2.5 gal water for:
30 min at 122F
45 min at 156F
5 min at 170F

Then added the wort to 3 gallons of water, added the extracts and started the boil (1 hour).
Added hops per schedule
Add yeast nutrient at 50 min.
Added candi sugar at 60 min.
Cooled to 75F and pitched a 3 liter starter of WLP500.

Wort has been at 72F for three weeks now. It tastes wonderful, but I’d like it to be a bit drier. :)

Any recommendations to get this to attenuate more?

-J

I would try to wake the yeast up and give it a little encouragement, have you tried rocking or rolling the fermenter to stir the yeast up off the bottom? you can also sterilize a spoon and stir but do that very gently to not introduce air.

hmmm....it is a high ABV high attenuation yeast so I am not sure on that. It would seem to me from the description of the yeast and other peoples experience (never used it myself) that this yeast should give you another 10-15 points at least and get you down to the 1.015 range. Did the temperature ever spike really high or drop down really low or something?

I don't have my temps tightly controlled. I can tell you that It did get cold here right before it slowed to a halt. The ferment was no more vigorous than any other I've had - I was expecting more from such a high gravity wort. I don't have a stirplate, so maybe my 3L starter was still to small.

I just picked up some "yeast energizer" from the local wine shop. I'm going to add some and give the jug a good swirl again tonight.

-J

that sounds like a plan. If the starter was small and the fermenter got cold the yeast could have crapped out early on you. It will be hard to get it to start again but the energizer has a chance. Let me know how it goes. If this works I will probably use it in the future if/ when I have this problem.

Back