Second AG Batch Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanson16

Reaction score
I am going to do my 2nd AG batch this weekend and was wondering when the best time was to take the 1st Hydrometer reading. With my 1st batch I took one off the 1st sparge runnings and it was higher that it should have been. I did the full sparge and and took another before the boil. It was lower than it should have been.

I just want to get an accurate reading prior to boil in case I need to add DME or thin to hit my target OG.

Thanks!

Take a sample of your wort once you hit your volumes. Be sure to cool it down as close to 60F as you can while your wort is coming to a boil.

Once cooled take your reading and then adjust accordingly.

take a sample of your wort once you hit your volumes. Be sure to cool it down as close to 60f as you can while your wort is coming to a boil.

Once cooled take your reading and then adjust accordingly.

+1

Thanks for the advice.

One other related question. I was shooting for a 6.5 gallon pres boil volume. The last half gallon coming off my sparge was almost as clear as water (I was brewing a pale ale so it was light anyway but it was very clear). I think this lowered my OG. Is it better to shoot for your volume or OG target?

Thanks again for the replies!

Back