aerating wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neuron555

Reaction score
My Belgian Tripel is now on day 26. It was stuck at 1.050 for 3-4 days (started at 1.105). I shook it up again and there is a little airlock activity, but at this rate I'll be fermenting all winter. I used a 500 cc starter, but maybe it wasn't enough.

I have read about aeration, but haven't gone beyond splashing the wort into the fermenter. Is it too late to get a bubbler and aerate this now, or will the oxygen be a problem?

Don't Oxygenate Now! you don't want to risk off-flavors caused by it.

That said, here's 2 questions, and 2 solutions:

1) What was your OG?
2) What strain yeast are you using?

Here's what you can try:

1. Slightly rouse the yeast. Give the fermenter a good rock to raise the yeast off the bottom and maybe get them to freshen up a bit.
2. Re-pitch. Either after racking to a secondary, then taking a bit of the yeast cake and making a new starter + nutrients (say, 1500mL), or take a new vial/smack-pack and make a new starter + nutrients (again say, 1500mL).

I just went through option 2. myself last week, after having my Double-dubbel stall out at 1.055 (1.107OG). Now it's at 1.038 today. woo woo!

Hope that helps.

OG was 1.105 with WLP530. It is a high flocculator but is supposed to be good for high alcohol. I did a 500cc starter and it took off, but is stalling. I thought I would check the hydrometer again tomorow, but if not much movement, I need to do something.

If I repitch, how big a starter should I do for the second round?

Make a big-un. Pitch a vial of WLP530 into 1 cup water + 1oz extra light DME + 1/4tsp Yeast Energizer (diammonium phosphate). Let that ferment for a day or so (preferrably on a stirplate), then step it up with 2 cup water + 2oz extra light DME + 1/2tsp yeast energizer. After another 48hr on the stirplate or with intermittent shaking, pitch that sucker.

Cheers

Back