Carboy size question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggy

Reaction score
I'm just getting involved in brewing and have a question concerning the size of carboys.
In my reading, I assume as a primary I'd not want a 5gallon carboy if I'm looking to brew 5gallon beer batches.
My thinking would be to get 6-6.5gal for primary and then use the 5gal for secondary.
Am I on the right track with those thoughts?

Right now I've only one 5gallon that I'm using for my first attempt of brewing (Eds apfelwein).
I've one 5gallon better bottle on the way (I wanted to see what these were like) from AHS when I ordered a Wheat kit the other day.

I just ran into an offer today where I can get two 5 gal gently used glass carboys for $25 with an option for 2 more at the same price.
I don't think I'd need that many at that size...but then again....

Thanks for your input!
:mug:

The 5 gallon carboys are great for apfelwein because there is no krausen. But for beer you will want a 6 or 6.5 gallon glass carboy, or better bottle, or (cheapest) ferment bucket.

Definitely a 6.5 gallon carboy or better bottle for your primary. Even though you have 5 gallons of brew, you need to have extra space for the krausen layer that forms when fermentation begins. A 5 gallon carboy would have the krausen layer blowing off your airlock or spewing out of your blowoff hose.

Either the 5 gallon glass carboy or better bottle will be perfect to use as a secondary clearing tank, however, so keep those for sure.

Thanks for your input!
I think I'll pick up at least 2 of the used 5gal ones tomorrow...maybe all 4 if a better deal is to be had. That way I can have extra secondaries and if the apfelwein ends up to be well, I can always have some in process.
Cheers!

just be prepared that sometimes you end up with a little more than 5 gallons on a batch and it might not all fit a 5 gallon secondary. You could pick up a few gallon jugs as mini secondaries so you don't waste any beer. This could also let you do some dry hop testing on a small scale.

Shaggy said:
Thanks for your input!
I think I'll pick up at least 2 of the used 5gal ones tomorrow...maybe all 4 if a better deal is to be had. That way I can have extra secondaries and if the apfelwein ends up to be well, I can always have some in process.
Cheers!

A better deal is to be had if you like the better bottle

Midwest

4 shipped to your zip = $90

2 shipped to your zip = $47

Latest posts

Back