curiosity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meck

Reaction score
This is just a curiosity question. I have NO intentions on trying it.

If Belgian Abby Ale yeast is a mutated strain of wine yeast would it be possible to ferment wine and Belgian style beer in the same house?

I know that typically beer yeast and wine yeast don't like each other and it is a bad idea to ferment them in the same house. Just curious.

I ferment beer and wine in the same house all the time- I've never heard that you can't.

I am more careful with other fermented things, though- like my sourdough starter and my cheese cultures. I never make cheese in the same room I'm using for beer, for example, since a lacto infection would ruin my beer.

Right now, I have 21 gallons of wine in carboys and 10 gallons of beer in fermenters. I have a big house, but I'll be darned if I'm hauling full carboys to different levels to seperate my beer and wine!

If that were the case we'd all be in trouble.

I've got wine, champagne and beer yeast all sitting next to each other in my brew closet. And have had no issues ever with it.

Fermenting_chamber_copy.jpg

My Fermentation Closet: #1 Grain test Pale Ale 1 (dry toasted) #2 German Apfelwein (hard cider @ 3 months) #3 Grain test Pale Ale 2 (soaked in sugar solution then toasted) # 4 Grain Test Pale Ale 3 (soaked in water then toasted) #5 1-gallon Date Wine #6 Old Ale Brewed on New Years, then oaked for a week and racked to a tertiary to bulk age).

One thing to remember, whether or not what what you have heard is true, is that each fermenter is 1) protected by an airlock, letting air and co2 out, while keeping nasty stuff from getting in, and 2) Beer, and really anything in the initial stages of fermentation, is protected by a layer of co2 filling the fluidless spaces in the fermenter and cushioning your stuff from particulate matter.

Thank you for the replies.
Awesome to know!
My wife will love this information, since she wants to try making wine. I guess I can start building her a wine to try then!
I was told I could not brew beer and wine in the same house, by Bimarck's only local winary - a "build your own, made to order" type. The laws in ND work against micro-breweries and winaries. Can't make, bottle, and sell your own product. Has to go through a 3 tiered system. - Folks are trying to get this changed.

Latest posts

Back