I'd like to try a batch of lager this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calman

Reaction score
This will be my first time with lager. Any differences in process from ale? THanks.

It seems to take at least twice as much time. My bock fermented for 2 weeks in the primary at temps around 54F. Then racked to secondary and tucked it in the fridge for another 4 weeks at 35F. Bottle conditioning also took 4 weeks and after tasting it, I think I may have rushed things. But dang, it is one clear, smooth brew.

Yes, patience seems to be the key... I started a lager in January and bottled it last weekend, I think... it got totally lapped by at least two ales. How are you going to control the temperature for fermentation? I built a little insulated box and put it against the foundation in the basement, and it hangs below 60 F.

calman said:
This will be my first time with lager. Any differences in process from ale? THanks.

You will need more yeast (a starter is required) and more oxygen in your wort. Try to keep the temp below 60F. Between 50F and 54F will be best.

Kai

i made an insulated box that holds my fermenters
one frozen 4 litre jug gets the temp to about 50 degrees
for secondary after diacetyl rest i put in one 10 litre and two 4 litre jugs
this keeps the temp between 39 and 41 degrees as long as i switch the bottles every 2 to 3 days

Latest posts

Back