Sub for Midnight Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nike_Eayrs

Reaction score
I'm brewing up a black IPA and the recipe calls for midnight wheat, and my lhbs does not carrry it. The recipe calls for 2lbs of it, so it's for more than just color. I was thinking a pound of caprils iii and a pound of flaked wheat. Any better ideas, or am I on the right track? Cheers!

Wow two pounds! Is this just five gallons? I guess it depends on what you want out of it. I have only used the midnight wheat for color and because it is so dark I don't need much and could sub in Carafa III if I needed too.

Wow two pounds! Is this just five gallons? I guess it depends on what you want out of it. I have only used the midnight wheat for color and because it is so dark I don't need much and could sub in Carafa III if I needed too.

5.5 gallon batch. Do you think the recipe is a little high? 10lbs of two row, 2lbs midnight wheat. It's a Snow Day clone.

Here is my grain bill for a CDA that I'm brewing next time. I haven't brewed it yet, but it might give you something to compare it to. This one is definitely bigger.

5 Gallons
OG = 1.070 FG = 1.010
11.5 lbs. (5.2 kg) 2-row pale malt
18 oz. (0.51 kg) Weyermann Carafa® II malt (450 °L)
18 oz. (0.51 kg) Munich malt
8.0 oz. (0.23 kg) crystal malt (40 °L)
12 oz. (0.34 kg) wheat malt

My snow day clone had 15lbs 2 row, 1.25lbs of midnight wheat, .5lb 80L. turned out really good.

Sinamar is used for black color and no flavor, exclusively. Would love to see the OP's recipe as Midnight Wheat is a (relatively) new ingredient! I have no experience (tasting or brewing) with Snow Day, so obviously grains of salt for everyone! On the house!

Seems like a lot of midnight wheat.

Midnight wheat is malted, so you wouldn't want to use an unmalted wheat as a replacement. Instead, I would use a combination of wheat malt and enough carafa III to get the right color with a very small amount of chocolate malt to round out the flavor.

If you wanted to be particularly adventurous, you could get wheat malt and try to oven toast it to the same lovibond.

Back