TAP-A-DRAFT: first impression...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carbonate them naturally upright. Chill them in your fridge. Attach the tap with the bottle upright (obviously), lay it on its side, then insert C02 cartridges, keeping it on its side. Stick it back in the fridge and keep it cold and on its side from then on.

I'm attempting to naturally carbonate with the full amount of priming sugar this time. I'll report back with my experiences. The worst thing about TAD is the way the carbonation changes over time as the CO2 cartidges add forced carbonation, but the extra head space causes the carbonation to change again, and as the CO2 runs out it changes, etc etc. It's very difficult to have a consistent pour from it. I'm hoping a full natural carb will change that.

I'm also using the full amount of sugar on my batch. This batch was in primary for 18/19 days and then crashed cooled for 24hrs before moving to a bottling bucket. I figured a lot of yeast probably settled out and I'd need the full sugar load. They've been in my basement at 69F nine days now and the bottles are firm, but no bombs.

The reason you must keep TaD horizontal during CO2 cartridge insertion is the cartridges are partially liquid CO2. If the liquid is allowed to flow through the TaD it can break it and even burst the bottle due to rapid expansion if it makes it that far.

The reason you must keep TaD horizontal during CO2 cartridge insertion is the cartridges are partially liquid CO2. If the liquid is allowed to flow through the TaD it can break it and even burst the bottle due to rapid expansion if it makes it that far.

+1 on that. I knew I'd heard the reason why and it was something like that, but I couldn't recall enough of it to crate a coherent sentence on the subject. :D

I always use the same amount of sugar I'd use for bottling and have had no issues. No leaks or problems. And I have the plain black caps that came with my TAD system.

OK Lads, I have a report to make:
I tapped my first TAD bottle yesterday. It had been naturally carbonating for just over two weeks and had been refrigerated a day or two. In the beginning, it was in primary for over two weeks and then crash cooled for 24hrs. From there it went to a bottling bucket with a full charge of priming sugar. From there, it went into three TAD bottles.

The first bottle had been in the fridge for a day or two. Yesterday morning, I removed the black cap and there was a nice hiss as CO2 was discharged. I screwed on the dispensing head, inserted one CO2 cart and placed it back into the fridge for several hours until our guests arrived. **(Someone else already said this and it is so true: When screwing in the cartridges, do it quickly once it is punctured or you'll lose a lot of CO2). I probably lost half my first cart that way. When it was time for the first pour, I placed the second CO2 cart in the regulator. I remember some of you said to open the tap all the way and then close it partially to generate a head at the end. The very first pour ran as pure and clear as a brown ale could be. It was great!

I do have two bottles of the brown ale left and I'll be filling three more with Bee Cave Haus Ale. Once a bottle is opened, I do have to wonder if it will last until I can consume it (there were 3 of us yesterday). After the Bee Cave Haus Ale, I'm going to modify my recipes to 3gal batches. I do have a brand new case of 12oz PET bottles and caps. Maybe, I'll fill some of those.

Me too. Naturally carbonated it usually takes me 2 cartridges to push a bottle. If I force-carbonate, it's 3-4.

Same here. Naturally carb, use one cart initially and charge again about 1/2-way through the bottle. I have some Cream of 3 Crops Cream Ale that I'm going to start chilling tonight to serve to my guests on Christmas Day (along with some bottled Homebrew Amber Ale and a case of Sam Adams winter variety pack as a backup).

I'm about to tap my first one this week. When inserting the co2 cartridge, I read that you need to do this quickly...is that only if you are doing 1 cartridge? or do you always have to have 2 installed? In other words, when you put one in, is co2 coming out of the other cartridge location until you put one there too?

Also, I have some NO2 cartridges...is there anything special about when to screw them in? (first, or after the co2?)

I'm psyched to tap my TAD!

I only did one and placed the whole thing back in the fridge on it's side for a few hours before tapping. When I was ready to tap, I added the second cart.

It's perfectly fine to only use 1 cart at a time. I assume there's a 1-way valve on each cart tap that preventsgas from getting out. I typically have only 1 cart on for about a week before adding the second.

I bought some n2o for mine - but haven't had a chance to bottle anything in the system yet. Will the n2o act as a co2 cartridge or as an adjunct? In other words, will I still have to add a second co2 after the first co2 is exhausted - even though there is an n2o still connected to the system?

I haven't used my TAD yet, but I saw this on morebeer's site and realized that mine didn't come with any o-rings for the co2 cartridge. I looked inside the tap and there is nothing there either? is this a necessary part?

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18293/102300/O-ring_for_the_CO2_Piercer

Funny you mention that. Mind didn't come with any tiny o-rings for the CO2 carts either. The dispensing cap has an o-ring. Mine also came with three black L-brackets and wingnuts but absolutely no explanation. My parts were in a ziplock bag and not a box from MW. Did the rest of you get your parts in a box?

No other brackets or wingnuts, but everything else was in the box that the tap came in..

I'm guessing you don't need the o-rings since you didn't have them either? I wonder if the O-rings are just extra insurance so you don't have a co2 leak?

Well, I got mine from Northern Brewer. No O-Rings came with the system, but I did get the instructions. I also bought a "Repair Kit" which has two flexible clear/white plastic "washers" which can be seen here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/catalog/product/gallery/image/2636/id/434/

I paid for an extra co2 O-Ring, which was shipped and looks exactly like the other "white" ones and not like this: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/tap-a-draft-co2-o-ring.html

If I had to guess, I'd say there was a product change by "Tap-A-Draft" and the old o-rings are no longer provided - though why I didn't get any o-rings in the kit itself is a separate question (which I'll take up with "Northern Brewer" tomorrow). Got to admit that I'm kinda dissapointed with Northern Brewer - first no instructions with an All-Grain kit and now it appears they shorted me on some parts. :(

Edit: Forgot to mention - no box here either. Just 3 ziplock bags. Maybe TAD ran outta boxes?

Mine didn't come with o-rings. Works fine. though...

I had a problem tonight. I tapped my TAD bottle of my saison and I seem to have had a pressure valve malfunction. I put the head on the bottle and it seemed fine. I laid it down and screwed in the two CO2 carts. Did really well and didn't waste much co2. Thing is... it kept emptying CO2 into the bottle. The bottle started to buldge. Thought it was going to assplode. The pressure started pushing the dispensing valve open and beer started coming out. I held it closed and yelled to SWMBO to get me a mug. I had to relieve the pressure personally. 9% abv saison. I'm happy to say I saveed the bottle and didn't waste the saison. I's druk!:drunk: but the beer is save! :mug:

If I had to guess, I'd say there was a product change by "Tap-A-Draft" and the old o-rings are no longer provided - though why I didn't get any o-rings in the kit itself is a separate question (which I'll take up with "Northern Brewer" tomorrow). Got to admit that I'm kinda dissapointed with Northern Brewer - first no instructions with an All-Grain kit and now it appears they shorted me on some parts. :(

I'm guessing it was a product change...I have the same clear washers in there. Thanks for posting the detail...I was freaking out as I want to tap it tomorrow night for some friends who are coming over!

Confirmed with SturmanBG. I just called them and they have changed the design to use the clear poly washers instead. Apparently they don't fall out as easily and work as well? The did state that you must use them or else it won't seal and you will lose your Co2.

The washers from my repair kit fit perfectly - so I'm good to go when the time comes. In addition, Lance at Northern Brewer offered to ship replacement washers via Priority Mail - which is really going "above and beyond". I told him to hold off and they can ship in my next order. Nice to know that they are willing to belly up to the bar when necessary. :)

so i havent read through the thread but has a cheap source for bottles been found yet? i can get 3liter ones at the supermarket that fit for $1.25 each

I read through this once and there seemed to be some disagreement about the amount of priming sugar to use with the Tap-A-Draft. Should the "normal" amount (that you use for bottling) be cut down for these plastic bottles? If so - by how much? Has anyone had a bottle that broke open from too much CO2? I'd like to just plunk the normal amount of sugar into the bottling bucket, then fill tall boys or the TAD bottles according to whim. Maybe that way a single cartridge would dispense a complete 6 liter bottle.......:rolleyes:

I primed mine with the full amount of priming sugar on Dec 3. We tapped one last weekend and it was quite good. The other two have now gone another week in my basement and I've had no issues with bottle bombs. I've checked the caps several times to be sure they are still tight and that's it.

According to the instructions, you should use less. I use the normal amount and it works fine for me. Not sure if there was ever disagreement on the subject since nobody really thinks the other way is wrong, just that we do it different. Though, some folks got some leakage (eew) when they used a higher amount. If you store them upright until tapping, any leakage should just be excess CO2.

used mine with two different TAD beers. One Irish Dry stout (used the N20 cartirdges), the other an IPA. They both were great and worked well. I used teh normal bottling amount of sugar and my carb level was perfect for each one. Killed both TAD bottles this weekend with friends over and it was a great hit. The nitrogen option was awesome...definitely made a difference in giving me a creamy head.

Creamy head.....awesome. Well I've read this whole thread twice and I"m going to Northerns site right now to place my order. Although Midwest has a 4 pack of bottles, and the proper priming caps, I have a hundred dollar gift certificate to Northern, so I'm up the creek I guess. I'll have to place two orders, I suppose. SWMBO should be thrilled about that.....again.

Just filled one TAD brown bottle with Belgian Ale (Kit). I primed normally, then filled it to 1/2" below the bottom of the screw threads. Should I let a bit of beer out to give more room or is that about where ya'll are filling? I put the rest of the batch up in bombers so if something goes wrong with the TAD I don't lose too much beer. ;)

That amount of headroom is pretty much what I did. So it shouldn't be a problem.

I tried an experiment with the third bottle. I filled it to about 3/4 inch below the threads, then squeezed the bottle till the beer was flush with the opening and then capped. I was curious if it would work and if I would have less oxidation risk. I don't think it will make much difference, or know how I would tell since the regular way worked fine. Either way, it has carbed fine (nice and tight TAD bottle) and I haven't tapped it yet.

Anybody know how long the beer stays good once you tap it? I went through 2 kegs on one weekend, but since that was with friends over, it went fast. Now its just me and the wife, so it could last several weeks...will the beer stay good? Maybe I need to sanitize the tap huh?

Just filled one TAD brown bottle with Belgian Ale (Kit). I primed normally, then filled it to 1/2" below the bottom of the screw threads. Should I let a bit of beer out to give more room or is that about where ya'll are filling? I put the rest of the batch up in bombers so if something goes wrong with the TAD I don't lose too much beer. ;)

I "think" you are supposed to have a bit more headspace than that. If you think about a 12 oz bottle, you have maybe an inch of space. But that's only 12 oz, not 6 liters (1.5 gallons!). How much though? Since the bottle flares out fairly fast, I'd guess it's about 2.5" or so. I know there is some limit to how little head space you should have, as it stands to reason that less space will increase pressure.

I've been wondering alot about this though. Does how much headspace make a difference in how it pours(assuming equal carbonation) Reading through this entire thread, I see one person squeezes out some of the extra space when bottling, so the conditioning fills it back up.

My experiences so far are that the amount of foam in the glass depends upon where you are in the bottle. Seems like it's fairly foamy to start with, pretty good about a 1/3 way down; at somewhere about half I add the second cartridge, and it is good again. Then it pours but not much carbonation near the end. I did some of the 3 liter bottles, and it seemed to use two cartridges for the CO2, same as in the 6 liter bottles. I tried one 6 liter with 3 inches of head space, and one with 1.5 inches of head space, and was not sure there was that much difference in the foam, but am not certain, as my temperature regulation of my mini-fridge has not been that good (and carbonation level varies with temperature).

Has anyone got a system for using TAD that gives consistent foam levels from start to finish?

I only fill my TaD bottles about 3/4 full. Any more and there's not enough space to accept the CO2 and it just blows out the relief valve, wasting most of the cartridge. Can't say I've noticed a difference in head on beers unless I try to do a pour RIGHT after adding a CO2 cartridge.

I just called Sturman in Colorado and talked to Ben of the TAD business group. He said that I should fill to 1" below the neck (or bottom of the thread area). So I guess I'll let a bit out.............:drunk:

Hmmm... I've been filling mine a bit high lately. Might explain why the last one I tapped was overpressuring. I had to drink a couple mug fulls just to get the pressure down to where it wasn't forcing the tap open.

I let out a bit, then squeezed the bottle to take away some airspace. Five hours after bottling the thing had already built up a bit of pressure. :cool:

Wow, just got my TAD system, and put one cartridge in and the bottle is rock hard. When I twisted the cartridge in, the beer bubbled like crazy, then chilled out. Do I twist another C02 cart in, or will the relief valve just spit my beer out all over the place? Also, there were two little black "plugs"....anybody know what they're for? They fit into the bottom of the drip tray, but it doesn't seem like that's what they're for. Am I missing something?

I think I missed a few things. I thought force carbonating meant you can drink it on the spot. I read an instructional PDF located at http://www.ibrew.com.au/pdf/tap-a-Draft1.LR.pdf that says after force carbing with two carts, you still need to wait a week for it to fully carbonate. Is that true? If so, what's the point? Might at well naturally carb them. I shot two carts into my first bottle and there's no carbonation whatsoever. And I did it cold.

Force carbonating takes time. The CO2 doesn't instantly dissolve into the liquid. Takes a while. Same as kegging.

If you naturally carb them, then you can drink them as soon as you connect the carts, though you might want to wait for the sediment to settle down again.

I think I missed a few things. I thought force carbonating meant you can drink it on the spot. I read an instructional PDF located at http://www.ibrew.com.au/pdf/tap-a-Draft1.LR.pdf that says after force carbing with two carts, you still need to wait a week for it to fully carbonate. Is that true? If so, what's the point? Might at well naturally carb them. I shot two carts into my first bottle and there's no carbonation whatsoever. And I did it cold.

I give mine at least 48 hours.

With the beer ice cold, I add one cartridge and let it sit. at 24 hours I add another and at 48 it's usually ready to drink.

well, it's only been 24 hours, and I already lost pressure, and the beer is barely flowing out. Still no carbonation, but I guess another dayand it'll be ready. Or maybe I should put another cartridge in? If I take a cartridge out now, will it be empty? The instructions say not to do it until there's no pressure, but wouldn't the first one I put in be empty? Anyone think it's a good idea to throw another cart in?

Back