a possible problem here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron,ar

Reaction score
On 2/18/07 I started a welches grape juice wine in a three gallon version. I had some initial slow-start problems that were temperature related. It did take off and started good after it was in a warmer place. I left it inthe primary, a 4 gallon plastic bucket, until tonight, 11 days. (I was out of town).
I transferred it into the glass 3 gallon carboy tonight, it had a fair amount of trub at the bottom which I did not transfer. I took a SG and it showed to be somewhere between 999 and 1000. I had a starting SG of 1.095
Here is the recipe I used:
>
>
Yeast: Wine yeast
Batch Size (Gallons): 3
Original Gravity: 1.095
Final Gravity: .996
Boiling Time (Minutes): 0.0
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30
Additional Fermentation: Rack until clear

Welch's Frozen Grape Juice Wine
6 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
3-3/4 lbs granulated sugar (or test SG to 1.095)
6 tsp acid blend
3 tsp pectic enzyme
3 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 3 gallon
wine yeast

Bring 1 gallon water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make three gallon3 and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.
>
>
I tasted it an it had no foul tastes or odors and tasted like wine but very weak tasting. Shouldn't the SG be closer to the starting SG instead of close to the target finish SG?:(

The wine is just about done! If it's too "weak tasting" for you, you could add a bit of tannin (a very little bit, like 1/4 tsp to start) and/or try a bit in a glass and add some sugar to see if sweetening it helps. You could add another can of grape juice, but that will restart fermentation and boost alcohol as well. It will ferment out in about 2 weeks, if you add that.

You should have a f.g. of around .996, so give it a couple of weeks just to make sure that it's done. You can stabilize and sweeten or just drink as is.

I'd personally just leave it alone, and it will get better tasting in 30 days. If you think it's too weak, next time use more juice and less sugar.

You said "The wine is just about done"
In only 12 days? I added 2 cans of juice, no tannin as I had none. Time will tell. If it does not finsh out I will either add more yeast or conditioner.:confused:

Back