I shook my fermenter and it wanted to blow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-Baron

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of wheat beer that after 1 week in the primary I took off the air lock and poured in some orange extract with the intent of letting it sit another 2 weeks.

Well after a few hours I couldn't leave well enough alone and was worried that because I didn't stir it in it would ruin it or something. So I grabbed the fermenter and tilted it back and forth to swish it all around.

IMMEDIATELY the airlock started going crazy!! It blew all the water out the top and the lid of the thing was starting to give. So I yanked the airlock off the top and with a big WOOOOSH! it was over!

Now did I screw up my beer? Should I worry?

You're good, just make sure to re-sanitize your fermenter and affix a "blow off" system.

just go up to the top right of this website and search blow off. instead of your airlock, it is essentially a hose coming out of your fermenter and into a seperate bottle of sanitized liquid. it allows strong fermenting beers (like wheat's) to go nuts and not create a big mess.

Back