How do you mark your fermenters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlatenight

Reaction score
Kind of a weird question I know, but I'm wondering if anyone has found the perfect way to mark your fermenters with contents, date, OG, etc. I tried those wax pencil "China markers" but they don't write that well. Is there a different marker you're using that shows up well and is easily erased? Maybe a bright colored dry-erase marker? Although, dry-erase markers erase too easily, ya know? I don't want to use sticky-notes...

I use glass carboys, but I've found 2" wide masking tape written on with a sharpie works pretty well. I stick it on enough to stay there but I don't press it down real hard, so if I rack it I can peel the tape off easily and transfer it to the new vessel. But maybe that's not the look you're going for; if you don't want to use sticky notes you probably don't want to use masking tape either.

+1 on the blue masking tape with sharpie notes written on it for a glass carboy--you can peel and slap the tape on the keg when you transfer and it doesn't leave any residue.

I use a product called glass etch. it can be bought at a hobby store like hobby lobby or Michael's cost about $10. Put it on with a small paint brush and let it sit for a bit and wipe off with glass cleaner and paper towel.

+1 on the blue masking tape with sharpie notes written on it for a glass carboy--you can peel and slap the tape on the keg when you transfer and it doesn't leave any residue.

^^ this. The tape follows the batch through the pipeline.

Armour-etch glass etching cream. It takes 10-15 minutes to etch readable marks. that way I have permanent volume marks.

hang tags for contents

31266d1312628771-marking-carboy-carboynumbers2.jpg

edit to say:
Should have read the post instead of just the subject line.
I mark my carboys with stickers from Bobby_M.
I label my carboys and kegs with #1 Blank Manila Cardstock Tags with Elastic Ties from McMaster-Carr.
(Already have them for tagging parts going out of the shop.)

The masking tape solution is so obvious and I'm kicking myself for not having thought of it. :(

That said, I use sharpies to mark all my info on the carboy. Hot water and a scrubbie and off it comes at the end.

I got tags with the wire 'twisty' thingys from Staples. Work great. I first put them on the carboys and then transfer them to the kegs. All the dates and other info (OG FG) travel with the beer from birth to stomach. :ban:

pipe.jpg

I just tape my Beer Smith printout to the vessels as I work through. They get all the notes on them then duplicated back into my computer. The last stop is taped to the top of my keezer over each keg - then toss them.

protip: nail polish will last for years on a glass carboy. just dont use pink, or your friends will make fun of you.

They sell a chalkboard paint at home depot/lowes. I've been kicking around the idea to paint a 1x1x1 partch/area of my fermenters with it, then I can just use chalk to mark what's inside

Just number mine 1-6 keep a spread sheet on computer with Beer name/style, start date , F.G., O.G., kegged date. Allows for me to keep track of everything plus I know when kegs are ready.

I use buckets when I want to know my volume out of a batch because it is easy to get exact volume by measuring the inside height and diameter of the bucket. Pour raw beer in and measure from the top of the bucket to the raw beer and subtract from your original height. Then plug in your numbers to the volume equation and you have your overall exact volume.

V = pi * d^2 * h / 4 You can plug this in on Wolfram alpha if you do not have a calculator. You can click on extended keyboard if you just want to enter the symbol for pie also. http://www.wolframalpha.com/

I don't bother with my glass carboys. The slap on decals are made for which carboy? What inside height and width is it based on? There is suck a variety of carboys as far as height and width. The only way to get an accurate marking is by pouring a known volume of liquid in increments and then mark the outside. If I had the motivation to do that I'd probably permanently etch it on the carboy.

I raided my 3 year olds crayon stash. Good ole Crayola washable works fine on glass carboys, Erlenmeyer flasks, or stainless kegs. It holds up fine to some moisture but hot water and a rub and its gone.

Thanks for all the great replies guys. I'm gonna go the masking tape route. I like the idea of just pealing and restocking on the next vessel; keg or 2ndary.

Edit, by the way, I asked my wife for a nail polish she won't wear and marked the 5gal line on my fermenter. Great idea!

Latest posts

Back