Harrisburg to Philly - Brewery Tour Plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaynik

Reaction score
Planning a trip to Philly via Harrisburg to facilitate a stop at Troegs. Looking at the map and the breweries along the way, here's the itinerary:
Troegs
Lancaster
Victory
Given that we're coming up from 2 hours south, visiting to taste is more realistic than actually going on the tours due to time constraints. Any concerns with this plan? Troegs is my favorite brewery, but I can't invest the time there for a full tour given our final destination in Philly. The plan is to visit the tasting rooms and fill some growlers, maybe buy some merch, etc. Am I neglecting any great stops in these areas?

It's terrible since I'm a PA native, but I've never been to the Yuengling brewery in Pottstown. I'm not a huge Yuengling fan, but it is the oldest brewery in America, so that should be worth something.

Also, once you reach Philly, visit the Philly Brewing Company. Their "Rowhouse Red" is outstanding. Or go to Eulogy or Monk's Cafe and sample some great Belgians.

flying fish brewery is also just over the bridge about five minutes outside the city in cherry hill new jersey

There are several Iron Hill Breweries in the area as well. More of a restaurant than a brewery, but they make some tasty stuff. I recommend the Vienna Red and the Pig Iron Porter. Grab a burger and make it a meal.

Start in Harrisburg and hit Troegs and Appalachian Brewing Company. They're 6 blocks from each other.

Then head east on 283. Stop in Mount Joy and visit Bube's Brewery. Keep going on 283 to Lancaster and check out Lancaster Brewing Co., Iron Hill, and the new Spring House Taproom (all in the city within about 2-3 miles of each other).

Then jump on 222 north to Adamstown and go to Stoudt's (and Union Barrelworks if you have time, they're 3 miles apart).

After Stoudt's, jump on the Turnpike east to Philly. Get off at the Downingtown exit and hit Victory. Skip Philly Brewing Co., their beers taste like underfermented extract homebrew batches. Do hit Yards if you take your tour all the way to the river.

Let me know when you're coming to Troegs, if I'm not really busy (unlikely, but you never know!) I can show you around.

Bube's is ok, the ambiance of that place is almost cooler than the beer...their stuff is really hit or miss, I would save them for another trip. Stoudt's is a classic, and only about 5 minutes off the Turnpike. Victory, then once you get to Philly- Iron Hill in the surburbs (the Media location is on the way, their pale ale is delicioso), then Yards (Brawler Pale Ale, could drink 100 of them), Monk's Cafe (I can't say anything to make this place cooler than it already is), Triumph (really REALLY talented brewers, they can do anything well). That's gonna be a good trip.

A lesser known but also very good brewpub in Philadelphia (Mt. Airy) is Earth - Bread + Brewery. Just ate dinner there last night again and had 4 awesome beers. Tom Baker, the brewer and owner (along with his wife) was mentioned in Phil Markowski's book, Farmhouse Ales. Tom brews a great Biere de Garde, he has a version on right now along with a nice Flemish style Brown. If you like those styles, check it out, you won't easily find them anywhere else.
Iron Hill in Media has a good Pilsner and Belgian IPA on right now. The Pale Ale (Ironbound) and Vienna Red Lager are great beers they always have on tap.

If this is a one Day trip, I wouldn't try to rush it. It could be one long day.

Coming from Victory to Iron Hill in West Chester is a bit easier to hit IMHO, But the media location is onthe way. Of course their is one in Wilmington DE area as well.
If your coming from Arnold you could go in reverse. Arnold to Downingtown via 95 or up 301 via the eastern shore (they way I go) is about 2-2.5 hrs. I'm familiar with the route considering live in Annapolis and the area most of my life.

Sounds Good! There are actually a couple places (non-breweries that I would recommend) after the Breweries close. I would end at Monks especially if you have never been there! Their Sour Flemmish Ale is Fantastic!
But as some others have said Yards is pretty good as well as flying fish.

There is also a place in Limerick called the Craft Ale House, this joint has a great selection of craft beers constantly you can see what is on tap everyday here:
http://craftalehouse.blogspot.com

I live in Phoenixville and I have an Iron Hill within walking distance of my house which is very dangerous!
This sounds fun when do you plan on doing it? Victory isn't very far from where I live and I have been wanting to visit.

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Montgomeryville,+Pennsylvania+18936&ll=40.57867,-75.630795&spn=0.003732,0.006899&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=40.578687,-75.630662&panoid=-Lw-mh1zbn2HKuKodfv57w&cbp=13,162.49,,1,-6.34"]Street View[/ame]

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Montgomeryville,+Pennsylvania+18936&t=h&layer=c&cbll=40.578594,-75.631161&panoid=_5nrSOwez41UCA7sijTDMA&cbp=13,120.78,,0,-15.86&ll=40.578564,-75.631256&spn=0.0037,0.006899&z=17"]near exit 49A :D[/ame]

So, it sounds like going off the path and shooting North to Stoudts, then taking 76 over and dropping S to his Victory the recommendation? I had Stoudt's on the original itinerary, but it seems so far out of the way.

I don't have the option to reverse the route based on the rest of our plans and our hotel reservations in Philly. The only reason we're starting in Harrisburg is because I have been talking about going up to Troegs for two years and this is the best opportunity for me to do that.

I have learned that both Lancaster and Victory are more brewpubs than breweries. I can go in and buy a sampler, but there's no brewery with a tasting room. That was a little disappointing to learn, but I suppose I can live with it.

I do appreciate all of the feedback!

Yeah, Victory and Lancaster both are brew pubs, and while you can get a few tiny free samples, you do have to pay for a few nice sized samples. Still, they are both great places to visit, Victory has a ton of great stuff especially. Philly has a few good places to visit while you're in the area too, if you have the time.

YEah, if you're starting in Harrisburg and definitely want to go to Lancaster, then Stoudt's is a must-visit. From Lancaster Brewing Co., Stoudt's is only about 15 miles north on 222. And the Turnpike is right there to get you to Downingtown (Victory). YOu do NOT want to take Rt. 30 from LBC to Victory, that will take you forever on a Saturday. Best to go 222 > Stoudt's > Victory.

There are several Iron Hill Breweries in the area as well. More of a restaurant than a brewery, but they make some tasty stuff. I recommend the Vienna Red and the Pig Iron Porter. Grab a burger and make it a meal.

The porter is excellent .. they really know their beer..brewer even sent me the recipe for the porter. Get the sampler. The Hopzilla is fun too

Well, I am thinking about adding Stoudts to the route, but their website is pissing me off. They don't list their address. If they don't want me to find the address, maybe I don't want to go.

2800 north reading road (rt 272) Adamstown pa :mug:

under the hours and directions section

Of the Brew Pubs in the Philly area Iron Hill probably has the best food. McKenzie's has two locations and has decent food. Their Saison's are pretty good as well.

dang it. Now I see the hours and directions section. Well... it's not very conspicuous. Maybe I'll put them back on the list.. ;-)

i wouldnt bother with lancaster brewing, go to iron hill, way better food and beer. troegs is cool definetly must stop there. stoudts has a great pub and victory is a must see, jo boys pub in manheim is out of the way a bit but great BBQ and beer.

It's terrible since I'm a PA native, but I've never been to the Yuengling brewery in Pottstown. I'm not a huge Yuengling fan, but it is the oldest brewery in America, so that should be worth something.

Yuengling is in Pottsville.:cross:
If you end in Philly, you should definitely add Yards and PBC to your tour.

Yuengling is in Pottsville.:cross:
If you end in Philly, you should definitely add Yards and PBC to your tour.

Bah, you took my suggestion. Best thing about them is that they're within a couple miles of each other.

PBC is only open on saturdays and has neat old tasting room and they'll give you a 4oz sample of each beer they have on tap. It's a bit more chill.

Yards is more of a bar and is open every day. Unlike PBC, you can get food and full pints as well as play some pool and table top shuffleboard. Downside is that it's more crowded, especially on saturdays when they give tours, and you can only get free samples if you go on the tour.

IMO, Yards has better beer as part of their regular rotation, but I think PBC does better one-off brews.

*sigh* I miss the days when you could got to PBC or Yards on a saturday and just sit there and drink all you wanted for free.

I wanted to bump this post to give a review of the tour we did. Ended up with this itinerary; Troegs, Lancaster, Stoudts, Victory.

Troegs: Got there as the doors were opening to the tasting room and was part of a crowd. Good Lord. I like the setup and atmosphere here. Clearly, everyone here likes beer and knew everything about the beer. Seems basic, but not necessarily a given. Tasted many samples and got some pretzels which hit the spot. Tried scratch 42. Good, but not really my style. As usual, loved nugget, java head, hopback, etc. Special thanks to Jeff who provided some hospitality and insight. Jeff, I enjoyed meeting you and definitely enjoyed the hospitality.

Lancaster: Got here probably after the peak lunch crowd and timing seemed to be great. Ordered up a sampler which included some of the special brews including double chocolate stout and a blend they do with strawberry wheat called chocolate covered strawberry. There was a great assortment of beer there and I enjoyed this beer much more than I expected to. I loved the double chocolate stout, yet I left with a growler of the chocolate covered strawberry to appease my wife. :) This place was the surprise delight of the trip.

Stoudts: We got here around 330ish in between crowds and just missed the brew tour. Went into the restaurant and got seated to sample some beers. IMO, their priority here is selling the steaks and not the beer, so keep that in mind. I was not overly impressed by any of the beers here either. All of their beers seem to be huge and are like drinking beer with a shot. This visit was not a highlight, but I know many love their beer.

Victory: It was getting late and we got to Victory right at the dinner rush, so had some time to kill waiting to be seated. This was the most-hyped place we visited. We tasted many of their beers. I have had many of theirs before and the two best we tried were Hop Devil and Yakima Glory. I had not previously tasted Yakima and was pleasantly surprised. It's a good brew. My wife was happy with Hop Devil. My friends tried the pils and lager and weren't happy. The last beer we tried was the dark lager and none of us were into that one. Tasted much like liquid smoke. I wanted to like it, but just couldn't get it to stick. The food here was good and it is definitely a popular place.

So, in summary, Troegs was expectedly excellent and probably the highlight of the trip for me at least. Lancaster was the biggest pleasant surprise. Stoudts as far as visiting for beer at the restaurant was forgettable. Can't speak to the tour. Victory has great hoppy beers, but their "standards" were a bit disappointing. I was surprised to not have been happier at Victory, but you learn by doing.

Spent the morning touring Philly's history, viewing the liberty bell and other historic sites. Stopped by Reading Terminal to get a Dinic's roast pork sandwich, then to Tony Luke's for a nice cheesesteak. The cheesesteak was better than I expected, so I was pleasantly surprised. It was also easy to get to which made me happy. The roast pork sandwich was really good too, but my tastes were set on that cheesteak. On the road and home within 100 minutes or so. Will have to make this trip again! Thanks to everyone for the advice on what spots to hit etc. We weren't able to get to the spots in the city, but will go again and take in those sights. 4 breweries was an aggressive task, but it made for a great trip!

Latest posts

Back