Recondition scratched disconnects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got a chest freezer so I've been overhauling my kegs. I just tried to put pressure on them, and one started leaking when I attached a disconnect, but the issue is only with that disconnect. The disconnect leaks on every keg, and none of the others leak on any of the kegs.

Upon closer inspection there are some scratches on the inside of the disconnect, which tells me that I may have a barb on one of my keg posts that I need to find and replace, but it also tells me that if I can't find the barb I'm going to end up going through a ton of disconnects.

That said, is there any way to smooth/seal the scratches and make the disconnect function properly again? Maybe some kind of (non-toxic, food-grade?) filler? I pride myself on being a fairly frugal brewer, and the thought of having to dish out $6-7 every time a disconnect gets a tiny scratch really bugs me. :mad:

Thanks!

Don't be that frugal!

Look for the potentially offending post, and replace it and your disconnect!

The only "non-toxic, food grade filler" that readily comes to mind would be some R T V silicone.

Some 400 grit wet or dry paper, ( use it wet), rolled up to fit in the disconnect could work for ya', but then you'll always have that "compromised" plastic finish inside the disconnect.

Depends on where you draw the line at your "fairly frugalness" .........:D

Don't be that frugal!
Don't have a choice sometimes... :cross:

The only "non-toxic, food grade filler" that readily comes to mind would be some R T V silicone.
I was thinking something along the lines of beeswax, though it's probably not durable enough.

I need to buy pin-to-ball conversion sets for three kegs, plus disconnects for them. I was hoping to not have to tack on even more for extra disconnects, but that is probably my best option. Thanks for the feedback! :mug:

Do scratches on the inside of a QD really cause leak or sanitation problems? The only parts that beer touches are upwards from the o-ring on the post.

Have you taken the QD apart? Maybe there's something stuck on the inside, or that tiny o-ring on the plunger is damaged.

Do scratches on the inside of a QD really cause leak or sanitation problems? The only parts that beer touches are upwards from the o-ring on the post.

If you look inside the disconnect (where it connects to the post) you'll see a little lip about 1/2-2/3 way toward the top. The o-ring is supposed to seal up against that narrower area. If you put a scratch in that area the seal isn't as tight because the o-ring can't expand into the scratch, thus causing a leak. I haven't experienced this on a liquid disconnect, but it's definitely noticeable on the gas side. I'm not worried about sanitation, I just don't want to have to replace my CO2 tank every other day.

Yeah, I guess a scratch in that area will demand a new QD. Small investment for saving your gas.
Stealthcruiser's reply seems very logical.

Back