Samuel Adams Utopias? Any In MIchigan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinmcdevitt

Reaction score
h01.gif

Well I just received a email from sam adams saying that 2007 utopias is available. and something crazy in me wants to try it.

does anyone here know where I can get my hands on a bottle, (in south eastern Michigan is where I am at) or maybe online

Let me know :) (also the price, I found it on ebay for $300, I'm sorry I don't love beer that much (close though))

the email:

inset01.jpg

After its two year hiatus, the most unique beer you will ever get your hands on is back! We are proud to announce the release of the 2007 vintage of Samuel Adams Utopias®!

First and foremost, Samuel Adams Utopias is a beer. It is the most extreme beer ever brewed, it doesn't taste like a beer, but it is a beer through and through. Brewed with only hops, malted-barley, water and yeast, the 2007 release of Samuel Adams Utopias is a blend of several batches, some aged up to 13 years in a variety of woods, including bourbon, sherry, Madeira, brandy & Cognac casks. Each add unique flavor notes and layers of complexity to the beer.

I got to taste a number of test batches with the brewers and they have done a phenomenal job. There were so many different wood barrels with different ages and each one brought a unique flavor to the table. And for the final blend, the brewers crafted a beautiful tapestry of flavors that all complement each other. Without a doubt it is the most amazing liquid I've ever tasted!

I think these people would agree. This is how well Utopias was received at the GABF.

The beer's warm, sweet flavor is richly highlighted with hints of vanilla, oak and caramel. With an alcohol content of 27% by volume, its complexity and sweet, malty flavor is reminiscent of a deep, rich vintage Port, fine Cognac or aged sherry while being surprisingly light on the palate. And like the world's finest after-dinner drinks, Samuel Adams Utopias is not carbonated and should be served at room temperature.

Damn that sounds good! Now, I know you are wondering where you can find Samuel Adams Utopias. You will only be able to find this at fine beer and liquor stores. Ask your local store or wholesaler if they have ordered any for your area. And due to strict alcohol laws, you won't be able to find Utopias in the following states: Alabama, Georgia, Idaho, Iowa, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Carolina, Washington, or West Virginia.

And if it couldn't get any better than the liquid, Jim Koch and world-renowned glass maker, Georg Riedel, designed a custom glass for Samuel Adams Utopias. Georg Riedel is a legend in the world of wine and spirits for pioneering the idea of specially designed glassware that enhances the flavor of the specific beverage for which it was designed. He came all the way from Austria to taste Utopias with Jim at our brewery. Together they designed this special glass.

This glassware is meant to bring out the myriad of flavors experienced in Samuel Adams Utopias. And while we can't make Utopias available to you on the website, you can get the glassware at our online store.

This is the most extreme batch of Samuel Adams Utopias we have ever made. It's been two years since the last vintage and who knows when we'll do it again...

inset01a.jpg

justinmcdevitt said:
Well I just received a email from sam adams saying that 2007 utopias is available. and something crazy in me wants to try it.

does anyone here know where I can get my hands on a bottle, (in south eastern Michigan is where I am at) or maybe online

Let me know :) (also the price, I found it on ebay for $300, I'm sorry I don't love beer that much (close though))

I have a line on a bottle locally, but my guy said he was told by his distributor that there were only 60 bottles headed for SEMI, and no more than one per store. He quoted me $109 for the bottle he thinks he is getting. He also ordered me a case of Sam Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner. Yummy.

hum, maybe I need to make a trip to Boston :)

or better yet save my money and go back to germany :) (much better beer than utopias will ever be (at least thats what I will tell myself))

110 might be a bit much, are they 750 ml this year?

I think they are all 750ml. I should know by tomorrow if I can get one.

On a side note, the Imperial Pilsner is fantastic. He gave me 15% off, but it was still $66/case with the deposit. Ouch...but worth it.

what brew store you go to? might have to give them a try next time I am around wixom

around monroe there isn't much for high end beer stores, I need to look around ferndale arean next time I visit my bro

I might need a second job if I start drinking those :)

justinmcdevitt said:
what brew store you go to? might have to give them a try next time I am around wixom

around monroe there isn't much for high end beer stores, I need to look around ferndale arean next time I visit my bro

I might need a second job if I start drinking those :)

Napa Marketplace in Commerce, on Pontiac Trail. Great place. All high end stuff, no BMC etc. Will special order any request.

-Todd

I got the same e-mail the other day about the Utopias. I had always heard that it was illegal to sell here in Florida. But Florida wasnt on the list of States that couldnt sell it according to the Sam Adams newsletter.

HomerT said:
Napa Marketplace in Commerce, on Pontiac Trail. Great place. All high end stuff, no BMC etc. Will special order any request.

-Todd

I might have to make a trip up there to see the sights :)

and as to laws about the beer, I don't see the point of saying what is to strong, but that's just me,

though if they changed the laws we might get the real versions of European beers

justinmcdevitt said:
and as to laws about the beer, I don't see the point of saying what is to strong, but that's just me,

Ive always had a problem with those type of regulations too. If its legal to sell grain alcohol thats 75% then why cant you get beer that doesnt have half that amount of alcohol?

Well I just finaly got around to tasting this and I must say..... OH MY GOD!!! This stuff is the nectar of the gods.

Every smell is different than the last. Initial aroma is maple syrup followed by just the right amount of alcohol. Next I thought I was holding a glass of brandy followed by sweet vannila bourbon.

The flavor is sweet maple syrup, brandy, barley malt, and pecans (kinda wierd but good). The after taste is all of the above at once. About 5-10 seconds after swallowing a nice alcohol warming hits your tounge, mouth, throat and face in that order. I can still taste this 3 or 4 minutes after the sip. When I lick my lips I taste pecan pie.

Definatly a sipper. And worth the money in my opinion.

dannypo said:
Well I just finaly got around to tasting this and I must say..... OH MY GOD!!! This stuff is the nectar of the gods.

Every smell is different than the last. Initial aroma is maple syrup followed by just the right amount of alcohol. Next I thought I was holding a glass of brandy followed by sweet vannila bourbon.

The flavor is sweet maple syrup, brandy, barley malt, and pecans (kinda wierd but good). The after taste is all of the above at once. About 5-10 seconds after swallowing a nice alcohol warming hits your tounge, mouth, throat and face in that order. I can still taste this 3 or 4 minutes after the sip. When I lick my lips I taste pecan pie.

Definatly a sipper. And worth the money in my opinion.

so are you a beer judge ;)
that is a great review
and now I want to try it, who knows I might stumble upon a chance to try it
Just can't justify the price (or find) a bottle

But enjoy (though I know I don't even need to say that)

Latest posts

Back