Compost pile, hops and dog poop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstar26t

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
Reaction score
I built a compost pile 2 years ago mainly for grass clippings, spent grain and spent hops. I used some of the compost for the first time this year on my 2nd year hop plants and they are growing very fast. 20+ feet tall and some flowers are showing already.
I've read that dog poop shouldn't go into a compost pile that will fertilize a food garden...does this include hops? Should I make a separate disposal area for dog waste even though we don't have a food garden?

No dog poop in compost unless he is strictly vegetarian. meaning no animal fats used in the processing of whatever dry kibble you give him/her. If you feed the dog any animal based food products his poop belongs elsewhere.

I'm no expert, but I believe that this line from that link:

Do not put it in a food garden, pet feces contain some harmful pathogens and should not be handled, especially by pregnant women.
Is specifically referring to something that CATS (not dogs) have in their feces. Toxoplasmosis (http://www.2ndchance.info/toxoplasmosis.htm).

Every time my wife got pregnant, the doctors cautopned us about it and asked if we had any cats. Never once did they ask about or mention dogs at all.

edit (after reading my own linked article): it's only cats that can carry the parasite to full maturity, which leaves live nasties in their poop.

I'm no expert, but I believe that this line from that link:

Is specifically referring to something that CATS (not dogs) have in their feces. Toxoplasmosis (http://www.2ndchance.info/toxoplasmosis.htm).

Every time my wife got pregnant, the doctors cautopned us about it and asked if we had any cats. Never once did they ask about or mention dogs at all.

edit (after reading my own linked article): it's only cats that can carry the parasite to full maturity, which leaves live nasties in their poop.

Jep. We have two cats. Apparently, the parasite can attack the feotus.

Suck it up ya pansy!

Better not eat your veggies then. Most farmers have a contract source for manure. Black gold for plants.

Oh, I understand that. I grew up on a small farm in Washington. I'm all for knowing where your food comes from and what that entails. What do you mean my steak comes from dead cows?!?!? I thought it came from plastic wrapped foam trays down at Kroger's! Steer manure I've got no problem with, but I gotta draw the line at dog sh*t!! :D

Another problem with dog scat, it can attract scavengers that will dig up your hops. Most hop roots are close to the surface.

That said, you should see how green the grass is in Boss' favorite dumping ground.

Dog poop doesn't go in the compost bin or on the plants in the garden. It's not really a health issue as all poop contains bad bacteria. There's just too much fat that just tends to screw up the natural order of rotting plants. Only vegetarian poop, please!

The fats, the scavengers, the STINK, the possiblity of wet dog poop becoming a growing source for bacteria and parasites, these are the reasons why you shouldn't put dog poop in your composter.

Having said that I'm very lazy about picking up dog poop in my yard. So by the time I get around to it, it's become dried chunks. I DO throw dried dog poop in my composter and I do throw that compost (once it's done) on my hops and my raised garden. I've never felt sick, I've never had an issue.

I can also add that if I get sloppy and get some wet dog poop in the composter I can inside of 24 hours smell the difference in compost. The entire composter smells like dog poop times 10. I think thats the main reason to keep 'wet' out, it stinks like POOP and it stinks A LOT.

Once it's dry and crumbly, again I've had no issues. Also for clarity, I have a 6'*4' concrete 'room' I built for composting. I'm an avid composter that can achieve high heat levels, so I avoid a lot of the issues of 'compost gone bad'. I could see a poorly managed compost pile with wet poop in it becomeing a health hazard and a menace to your neighbors. If your going to do poop, do it right or don't do it at all. Wow, that's a weird sentence to write.

can we please use the word dog 'dung' instead of 'poop' in this thread. i keep getting these sick beavis and butt-head flashbacks every time i view this thread. i guess i could NOT look at it, but it's kinda like when you're little and they (the adults) tell you not to look into the sun. sorry, i'll put my sunglasses on and be quiet.

Back