a flaked barley heavy pale beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
i tried to search for any ideas about this, but didnt exactly find what i was looking for.

has anyone here ever tried something like an irish stout but without the roasted barley? so say 75% 2row and 25% flaked barley? it'd end up being kind of like a wit? would the flaked barley give much of a flavour at all?

I've never heard of using that much flaked barley, I use it for a more "solid" head on a beer but only an ounce. Sorry I can't help much

My buddy brewed Northern Brewer's Irish Blonde which uses a similar grain bill (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/irish-blonde-extract-kit-1.html). It uses 9.75 lb two-row, 1 lb Flakes Barley, and 1 lb oat malt. From what I remember it was pretty close to a wheat but it had more character. It's been a while since I had it so I can't give a better description but I do remember really liking it!

For my (not quite a) SMaSH recipe I use 10 pounds pale malt and 1 pound flaked barley (that's about 10%) with nice results. Gives the beer a bit more body and head.

Why not use a wit or hefe recipe but sub out the wheat for flaked barley. Or maybe a saison if flaked barley

This would make sense if you were going for more of a Northeast Pale Ale. 20-30% flaked grains is very common and helps give it that juicy mouthfeel. I use a split of flaked oats and flaked barley in mine, but I can't imagine it making a huge difference going all in with one or the other.

Latest posts

Back