dreadnaught extract clone, o.g. really low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowzwald

Reaction score
hey guys, big reader on here, first time posting. I brewed my 3rd batch today and it was an extract clone of 3 floyds dreadnaught. got the recipe here

http://hopville.com/recipe/1193057

i got a full boil set up but i didn't wanna risk a boil over so i used half of the LME (6.6 lbs) and boiled for 30 minutes before i added the rest and started the 60 minute boil. boiling went good, i used the water volumes beersmith told me too because I figured they would be somewhat right because the first batch was only bout 11 ounces more then it said. but now im a bit worried because the sample i took after i put it in the carboy was only 1.074. way lowerer considering it was supposed to be around 1.101. im thinking its because it might be a bit diluted. the 6 gallon carboy doesnt have a whole lot of room left. I whirlpooled the kettle before i drained it via the spitgot so some of the gunk would stay behind.

did i leave some valuable sugars behind? or maybe just dilute it too much? anyway i could save it or bump up the og? i pitched it bout 6 hours ago and its bubbling pretty strong already. thanks

your OG will definitely be lower if you ended up with 6 gallons on a 5 gallon recipe.
Also with an OG 0f 1.074 and a relatively full carboy I hope you are using a blowoff tube and keep a close eye on it.

got a blow off tube all set up, the first batch was an ipa and it blew the airlock off. shoulda marked up the carboy beforehand but lookin at this picture its just over that second lip. so maybe 5.5ish or just over that? and i added a 1.2L starter to it after i took the gravity. one thing ive been reading is the mixing of the wort. i kinda let the wort gently flow into the carboy from the bottom up because i just got an o2 regulator and aerated it that way. could that be a possibility on why it was so low?

better bottle.jpg

hey guys, big reader on here, first time posting. I brewed my 3rd batch today and it was an extract clone of 3 floyds dreadnaught. got the recipe here

http://hopville.com/recipe/1193057

i got a full boil set up but i didn't wanna risk a boil over so i used half of the LME (6.6 lbs) and boiled for 30 minutes before i added the rest and started the 60 minute boil. boiling went good, i used the water volumes beersmith told me too because I figured they would be somewhat right because the first batch was only bout 11 ounces more then it said. but now im a bit worried because the sample i took after i put it in the carboy was only 1.074. way lowerer considering it was supposed to be around 1.101. im thinking its because it might be a bit diluted. the 6 gallon carboy doesnt have a whole lot of room left. I whirlpooled the kettle before i drained it via the spitgot so some of the gunk would stay behind.

did i leave some valuable sugars behind? or maybe just dilute it too much? anyway i could save it or bump up the og? i pitched it bout 6 hours ago and its bubbling pretty strong already. thanks

So how did it turn out? I'm thinking about doing this myself, though I've never had the Dreadnaught. How did yours match up with the real deal?

So how did it turn out? I'm thinking about doing this myself, though I've never had the Dreadnaught. How did yours match up with the real deal?

it had a lot of mango and fruity flavors going into the bottle, very similar of dreadnaught. but idk what happened and it was super over carbonated so it kinda threw everything off since i wasnt really able to age it for a lil. i'll definitely try this one again now that im doing all grain. dreadnaught is pretty delicious but paying 12 bucks a bomber is steep

Back