Help with extract brewing with oats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExplosiveJoseph

Reaction score
I'm making an extract stout with chocolate and crystal malts and I would like to add oats as well. I'm not looking to use the flaked oats for added sugars but only for added body and better head retention. I'm also only using 1 lb of oats(which is 10% of the grist). My question is whether or not I need to pre cook the oats. I'm also using lactose and coffee, I don't know if that changes anything. Thanks for any help.

Have you purchased the oats yet or is this your plan? If already purchased, exactly what kind? From homebrew store or grocery store. I can help answer your question with that information.

Oats, until converted, are virtually all starch. You want dextrins for body, which are also polysaccharides, but far smaller than starches. Your options are to change the recipe to minimash, steep Carapils instead, or use maltodextrin powder for body.

I bought 1 lb flaked oats from MLHBS. 2.5L. There's not much more info at all on the package. It was packaged by L.D. Carlson Co. And to 944play, since I don't know how to minimash or mash at all for that fact, Ill use Carapils, I surprisingly have some handy. Thanks

ExplosiveJoseph said:
I bought 1 lb flaked oats from MLHBS. 2.5L. There's not much more info at all on the package. It was packaged by L.D. Carlson Co. And to 944play, since I don't know how to minimash or mash at all for that fact, Ill use Carapils, I surprisingly have some handy. Thanks

That tells me all I need to know. To use oats, you'll have to mash. This is a mini-mash process. They are already pregelatinized, so a single infusion mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes should convert them. You'll need a nylon bag to mash in. Lots of threads on partial or minimash here on HBT.

To get full conversion of carapils they need to be in a min-mash or full mash with 2-row or similar. If they're steep they'll leave quite a bit of unconverted starch, although they may add some body. Probably abou 4 oz. in a 5 gallon batch would be the upper limit.

http://***********/stories/wizard/a...arapils-and-what-are-those-other-qcaraq-malts
You are correct in saying that starch is unwanted in beer and that caramel malts do not leave starch in the finished beer.

Back