SMASH with 2row and Simcoe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griff777

Reaction score
Trying to finish off a bag of Great western pale ale, and I have 5 one oz bags of Simcoe.

Plan on Mashing 8 pounds of grain at 151-152 and plan on using 1/2 oz simcoe pellets at 60 45 30 and flame out

Looking for any suggestions before tomorrow morning TY

I'm bottling a SMaSH I made tomorrow. I also used 2 Row, but I used Cascade hops. The hydro sample I took today has a very one dimensional, punch you in the face malt taste. Not in a bad way, but not in a great way either. It tastes like it will be drinkable and refreshing, but I doubt I'll make it again. From what I've read you get a better tasting SMaSH when using a Europian style of malt.. I might try making one with Marris Otter next.

Just about every online vendor is out of simcoe hops and it's only half way through the season. Think about saving them for something proven, like a 60min clone.

I will report back. I have made so many "big" ales, I thought it might be interesting to do a very simple "lighter" beer. Heck, costs me about 15 bucks to try.

Just about every online vendor is out of simcoe hops and it's only half way through the season. Think about saving them for something proven, like a 60min clone.

My local brew shop has a ton of it. Hop Union one oz packs. elk grove, ca

I have made SImcoe IPA(midwestern recipe) and a couple other double IPa's with simcoe. I bought about twelve packs and have five oz left and can get more tomorrow, so I don't mind using a couple oz's for an experiment.

I'd go 1oz at 60, .5 at 15 and FO if you only want to use 2oz. Why not up it to 3 with 1oz at 60, 15 and FO. Other than that, I'd prefer to use a more flavorful base malt for a SMASH, but the 2row definitely won't get in the way of the pure simcoe goodness.

with only eight pounds of grain i was thinking two ounces as I tend to like less hops I will take your suggestion of one oz 60 then split the other at 15 and FO I realize the grain is pretty "bare." Just curious to see how "bare" it is. All my other brews had caramel, victory, bisquit, aromatic. etc.

Yeah, brew ferment distill in Sacramento also has a bunch of simcoe from hop union as well. Have not gone down to see frank in a while; he sold me my first set of brewing equipment. I did buy some simcoe whole leafs from him a couple weeks ago though.

Second time I'm crying today over Simcoe. 45 and 30 minute additions are a total waste of something as precious as Simcoe. Push those charges up to fifteen and under if you want the flavor and aroma from the hop.

did one ounce at 60 half at 15 and half at flame out. Definite hop character as I tasted the hydrometer sample. OG turned out to be 1.048 I think i ended up with what i wanted, a lighter beer as an alternative to my mostly IPA's and English bitters.

Back