A bit sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba_Mustafa

Reaction score
I've brewed a bunch of 1 gal batches and finally getting the nerve to start trying them (first batch ferm'd @ a high temp and was fusel; go figure. So I was a bit gun shy)

But just tried a APA with some rye (just me messing with ingredients). Crystal clear, brownish color (But I can't taste color:cross: ) Overall no prob with it, other then a bit sweet. A little more bittering hops?

BIAB (1 gallon batch)
2lb American 2-row
.3lb rye
.1oz Cascade for bittering
.1oz Citra dry hoped
1/2 packet of most likely Saf-05 and ferm'd @ 64F

whats the OG and FG? need more info....

when was the hops added? that sounds like a lot for 1 gal if added at 60 min.

OG 1059 FG 1018

A lot of hops? .1oz? Beer Tools said I'd hit about 16-18 IBUs. (and yes, 60 minute boil on the hops)
(the Citra was only dry hoped)

I just recently opened up a bottle of bavarian hefeweizen that I had sitting in bottle for about 2 weeks or so and noticed it was very sweet and figured that's just the way it was going to be... another week passed and I had another one and surprisingly the sweetness had subsided some. After a month now and it's still getting better... so give it some time... you'll be surprised how much the flavor changes.

the two things that make sense off what you said, higher than ideal FG and that's a low IBU for an APA. Try holding your fermentation at 64 like you did for 3-4 days then let it climb up to about 70 degrees to finish it off. I learned my lesson with an Imperial Brown, the airlock was going for over 2 weeks before my gravity readings finially leveled off. Letting the temp bump up over time will get it to finish lower. The other is definitely throw some more bittering hops at it. For a beer at 1.058, you're looking at at least 40 IBU's to start to get some hoppiness to it. Good luck on the next one!

the two things that make sense off what you said, higher than ideal FG and that's a low IBU for an APA. Try holding your fermentation at 64 like you did for 3-4 days then let it climb up to about 70 degrees to finish it off. I learned my lesson with an Imperial Brown, the airlock was going for over 2 weeks before my gravity readings finially leveled off. Letting the temp bump up over time will get it to finish lower. The other is definitely throw some more bittering hops at it. For a beer at 1.058, you're looking at at least 40 IBU's to start to get some hoppiness to it. Good luck on the next one!

I agree- that seems VERY low for an APA. Most of my APAS are in the 30-50 IBU range. I use about an ounce of bittering hops for bittering (cascade) in a 5 gallon batch- which is what? .2 ounce for a one gallon?

The reason it's sweet is because you underhopped about 1/2 of what you should have.

Latest posts

Back