Good apple juice for cyser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camchuck

Reaction score
What is a good brand of juice to use for a cyser? obviously dont want any artificial flavors or preservatives, no bull**** just pure apple juice

look in the orange juice section of your grocery store for the "Simply" brand stuff, they have orange, apple, grapefruit, lemonade, and limeaid I think...Their stuff is all pure juice, no preservatives, they just do a mild pasteurization and don't add anything, and don't use concentrates, all of their stuff tastes great.

Gracias amigo. I totally forgot about simply but their juice is top notch.

Also look at apple juice frozen concentrate, as it usually doesn't contain any preservatives besides ascorbic or citric acid. Avoid anything with 'sorbate' in the ingredients...even a little can screw up your fermentation.

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of that but I have always been somewhat afraid of the word concentrate

This stuff is real good. They have a cider and filtered/unfiltered apple juice. Plus the smaller containers have cool glass jugs.

photo.JPG

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought of that but I have always been somewhat afraid of the word concentrate

what you have to watch for is 'cocktail' which usually means all kinds of added sugars and a 'blend' of juices. Getting a decent grape juice concentrate can get tricky but apple juice, for whatever reason, remains fairly unaltered in concentrate form.

I'm always looking for the honey not the juice to 'shine through' unless I'm using some terribly exotic juice ...i found some blueberry pomegranate but then never did anything with it (was gonna make wine though).

Most of the Juices I use for my cysers come from our local "whole foods" like store. Anything that isnt see through is most likely a winner.

look in the orange juice section of your grocery store for the "Simply" brand stuff, they have orange, apple, grapefruit, lemonade, and limeaid I think...Their stuff is all pure juice, no preservatives, they just do a mild pasteurization and don't add anything, and don't use concentrates, all of their stuff tastes great.

The lemonade & limeade have added sugar. I know, he's asking about apple juice & the "Simply Apple" has no added sugars, but I thought I'd point out the 2 others do; not sure about their grapefruit juice. Not trying to be a dick, I'm just sayin.
Regards, GF.

I'm currently doing a 1 gallon cyser and I just made sure that it was preservative free. If it has absorbic acid added it will be okay, but my experience is that it creates a tartness that seems to never age away. I found that out the hard way with my graff.

Also make a blowoff if you can. I made a complete mess in my basement with this stuff.

The lemonade & limeade have added sugar. I know, he's asking about apple juice & the "Simply Apple" has no added sugars, but I thought I'd point out the 2 others do; not sure about their grapefruit juice. Not trying to be a dick, I'm just sayin.
Regards, GF.

Was just listing the different varieties of drinks they carry to help spotting it all in the grocery store maybe a little easier. Even the "aids" (which I'd assume we would all figure had extra sugar) are still made with pure juice and no chemical preservatives

Latest posts

Back