Nanobrewery-Canada Regulations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sockeye

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any clue what type of regulations would be encountered by starting up a nano brewery in Canada.

Not a very complete answer but that kind of thing is provincially controlled so it's going to vary depending on where you want to set up.

Some would be very strict, others less so. I live in Ontario and I would not want to do it here. WAY too many regs.

I would imagine that just like in the US, there is probably no distinction in the law between a nano and a larger brewery, except for some middle-ground cutoff between a brewer and a "small brewer." Here in Cali, a "small brewer" produces less than 60,000 barrels of beer per year.

From what I've seen there's only a difference at the Federal level where under x amount of hectoliters (uhhh...some amount of liters) it's lower tax per hectoliter. But it's a pretty crazy amount of beer to produce to even hit the lowest rung on that ladder.

Big breweries (read: Molson) is charged some 20x per hl than a small brewery would, that much I could figure out...

Latest posts

Back