What to do? No action on my winter porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJ

Reaction score
In a van down by the river, Nova Scotia, Canada
I set a Festa Brew kit last night and pitched the Nottingham Yeast that came with the kit. It has been 24 hours and there is no sign of action.... I am worried ;(

It is storming here and the LHBS is closed.!!! Whimps.
Anyway the only yeast I have is a Dry ale yeast. Should I pitch that on it? I wonder how that would affect the taste?

Help me

No, don't pitch the second yeast.

1) Did you aerate your wort before you pitched the yeast?
2) What temperature is your fermenter?

I would give your fermenter a good shaking and see if you can stir up some activity. 24 hours really isn't that long, so don't freak out yet.

24 hours is too soon to worry. Although you can't see anything, most likely the yeast are multiplying like crazy. They'll start fizzing as soon as they are ready.

What temp is your fermenter at, and what temp did you pitch at? Did you rehydrate the yeast before pitching? How (if) did you oxygenate the wort? These things can make a difference to how quickly your fermentation starts, but it will start eventually pretty much whatever you did.

My last brew took over 24 hours to kick off, I think mostly because I was keeping it cool. It was going strong 48 hours in, though, and still chugging slowly a week later.

Thanks for the replies, I was just getting a little impatient. I pitched and fermented at 18 (65). I gave it a good shake last night. I went down this morning to check in on it and it was starting to work.....
Thanks for keeping me calm.... haha

Brewing is a game of patience...once you pitch the yeast you cease to be in charge. The yeasts are, and they've been doing it a heck of a lot longer than you or I have walked this planet.

Here's some info for you.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-start-43635/

And as to what to do....http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

If you are judging "action" by your airlock...don't it is not an accurate "gauge" of it, it is a valve for excess co2 and nothing more...

warninglabel1.jpg

:mug:

Back