To Yeast or not to Yeast.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhino20

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of chocolate stout ( which will be keged this weekend) and I saw on line that you can reuse the yeast cake from the bottom of the carboy. I currently have it in a tupperware container in the fridge. How long will the yeast store and will it last in the fridge?

It will go dormant and slowly die off, but you could easily use it for up to 6 months.

Welcome to the forum! Your post is a great question that does pop up here every now and then. Go to the main HomeBrewTalk page, then click on Homebrewing Beer. You'll see a Fermentation & Yeast subforum. Thats a great place to look around for yeast info. Don't forget to skim the "sticky" posts at the top of that subforum.

BTW, that is really where your post should have been posted. A moderator might move it there to keep things tidy. This subforum is really for... Announcements & Feedback ;)

Thanks.....I'm new to this fourm and don't want to upset the beer gods.....lol. I look forward to many more topics and discussions.

Back