running tubbing to a draft tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
I need to run 20' of line from my basment up to my bar to wear the draft tower is. I'm using a double-faucet tower at my bar. from there i want to run the lines into the basment then over 15' to were the fridg is. Is there a problem with doing this. I was going to wrap the tubing in foam insulation like a noodle for a pool but made for plumbing pipes to help keep them cool. I don't want to start this project and have a bunch of problems thanks

It's a challenging project for sure. You'll want to use thinwall 1/4" ID polyethylene tubing for the beer and run some 1/4" OD copper lines as a coolant loop. That whole bundle will have to be well insulated as you've mentioned. You'd want to run a pump inside a keg full of water to feed the copper line up to the tower and back. There are a few folks who have tackled similar projects here but I don't know of any that have done 20-25 feet of run. It may turn out that coolant at beer temp isn't cold enough.

It has to be possible.
I was at a Hotel in Baltimore and their kegs are approx. 30yds away in a cooler and the lines run in a insulated tube to the bar...yes I saw it with my own eyes.
I'm a noob at kegging but to me that was very impressive.

Of course it's possible. Tons of bars do this. It's just a matter of running glycol lines down the trunk to keep everything cool or dumping the first 12 oz of beer before the first pour every day.

In a short, straight run, folks have had success running the lines through an air duct fed by a fan in the kegerator. If it had to make a lot of turns, it's probably best to go with liquid cooling fed by a pond pump.

Back