Resume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
I have recently updated my Resume and would like someone to look over it and give me some Recommendations on it. Let me know if anyone would be interested in helping me out.

Thanks!

I'm not one to necessarily critique resumes, but I will suggest that you have 3 different versions at any given time. 1 that showcases your specific technical skills and certs, 1 for your administrative/process skills, and 1 that paints a generalized picture of your previous work history and tasks. Having 3 at-hand means you can pick the most pertinent one based on the criteria of the job req and that also makes it easier to amend/edit for specifics. I found out a while back that if you're carpet bombing job reqs with the same resume it takes FOREVER to amend/edit them for every single req requirement.

Well I can look it over if you want.
What type of work do you do? I ask because there are certain things that are thought to be standard, but based on your line of work it may be best for someone in that field to look it over.
Mostly because they know the key things that would be good to have in your resume, and things that you would want to avoid. Things that someone well versed in your field would know.
I'm a professional surveyor so there are things that I like to read that pertain to my profession and give insight to the person I'm considering, but those would not pertain to other fields.

One thing I can say is always include a Cover Sheet. Most times the cover sheet is more inportant than the resume. I can take a look at it if you want to pm it to me..

One thing I can say is always include a Cover Sheet. Most times the cover sheet is more inportant than the resume. I can take a look at it if you want to pm it to me..

Funny you mention that. In my arena, a cover sheet is frowned on. Most employers won't even screen resumes longer than 2 pages no matter how long you've been in the workfoce. Gotta boil it down to the nuts and bolts and scrap the fluff.

Funny you mention that. In my arena, a cover sheet is frowned on. Most employers won't even screen resumes longer than 2 pages no matter how long you've been in the workfoce. Gotta boil it down to the nuts and bolts and scrap the fluff.

Yep. And then there is the Federal Position resume for which you need to write a friggin 20 page autobiography.

If you are IT, hopefully someone with some years in that field can pipe up on this.
As I said, and as is shown by tally350z and Whattawort's comments, people in different fields have different outlooks on these things.
I suppose that one thing I would say is that Whattawort said that you should have 3 different resume's ready. I would say in your field two would be in order.
I would have one that was in case the head of an IT department was going to be reviewing the resume and one for if it's going to a company head that isn't in the IT field.

Since you won't know who is going to read the resume most of the time, I would put the effort into the one that goes to a company head, then adjust the one that goes to an IT guy.

I'm a gov't simple servant...er...civil servant in the IT field. If you're looking for help on building a resume for a federal position I can probably help, but if you're in the commercial industry ask someone else. We do things a lot differently on this side of the fence. One thing I might suggest regardless if you're applying for a DoD civilian job is to build a resume in USAjobs.gov. You can print it out or save it for future use and I have to say the formatting is pretty nice. This is where I keep 3 different versions of my resume.

Back