WLP099 vs Wyeast 4347 -High Gravity Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beesy

Reaction score
Anyone have any inputs on these? Can't really find any info on ester/flavor production on the wlp099 and very little on the wyeast 4347 Eau de Vie. Going to be planning a big brew soon following similar techniques on the cybi for 120 minute. Leaning toward the wyeast 4347 Eau de vie as i like wyeast, but open to either. Can't imagine they are lending much in flavor profile at that point except to stay alive in high alcohol and keep on fermenting simple sugars. Feedback appreciated.

I've used Wyeast 4347 for some really big brews. One I used was to finish off a 20% mead I made.

What is your recipe?

don't have a recipe yet, i've been playing with a few in beersmith though. thinking either a big wheat wine beer or a big a hoppy IIPA style beer or a BIG barleywine style. I have a lot of grain to get rid of that i've had for a while (~12lbs wheat, ~20lbs MO and ~12lbs munich) so thinkin what better time to do a high gravity. I'm probably going to aim for 18%ish percent, with a little more from the grains than a 120 clone. I'll probably try to get 1.110 from grains and the rest from simple sugar. I feel that little extra residual sweetness will help balance the alcohol in that big a beer. I think the can you brew it OG from grain was 1.095ish. Did you notice any flavor profile from the Eau de vie?

So are you thinking of using another strain in primary, then pitching one of those two to finish it off? I'm not a big fan of the "mega" beers, since they are often so sweet, so I'd do anything you can to get it dry.

I've never found wheat wines or big IPAs to age very well, so I'd probably go Barleywine, Imperial Stout, or Belgian.

Hope that helps a little, good luck.

So are you thinking of using another strain in primary, then pitching one of those two to finish it off? I'm not a big fan of the "mega" beers, since they are often so sweet, so I'd do anything you can to get it dry.

I've never found wheat wines or big IPAs to age very well, so I'd probably go Barleywine, Imperial Stout, or Belgian.

Hope that helps a little, good luck.

Exactly--going to do a primary yeast of something like a 1056 or 1272. Then pitch the high gravity yeast a few days in.

I'll take your advice and look to see if i can find some more info on initial gravity before proceeding. The initial research I did seems to be that a lot of people are stopping their all-grain gravity around 1.100 give or take a few points. From listening to the CYBI, it seems it's real easy to give it a little too much simple sugar at the end, which can cause some residual sweetness. I think since I'm going to target a few percent less abv, hopefully I can avoid this issue. I also plan on reducing the size of my sugar additions towards the end as well, which should also help. When I get a recipe done, I;ll post it up to try to get feedback.

Latest posts

Back