Is it a scam? Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyDaze

Reaction score
I am talking about the ever-so shady craiglist transaction. I am trying to purchase tickets for the NCAA title game. This person has them for a face value (which is about half price of the market value). I have had various communications with her, but I just cant get a good read on her by the emails.

She is using a third party to collect the money and ship the tickets. The way the transactions is supposed to work is this: I go to this wesite here and put in my payment information (which has to be a cash transfer) and then they deliver it. The have a statement on the page that says if buyer is not satisfied with merchandise then they must return the item and then will be refunded. This delivery place is one of those places that delivers furniture and other things from online merchandisers. I've used one of these companies before when I bought my bar and everything went real smooth.

Another consideration is that I have the sellers name and address. I looked up the address and it was the Career and Community Learning Center at the University of Minnesota. Very random...I wonder if I should call the building and see she works there or something.

What do you guys think? Scam?

Like my dad (and probably your too) always told me..."if it seems too good to be true, it probably is"

That being said, she may be strapped for cash and just trying to unload the tix. Ask her if she'd accept a paypay transaction. At least if it goes sour, you have some recourse.

I wouldn't trust it if I was you. It just sounds waaaay too shady. You could very well get the tickets though, but chances are they would be counterfit and you wouldn't be able to get in.

I smell it too. It would suck to spend all the money to get down there and then find out the tickets were fake. Although I have a friend who has the real deal, so Im sure I would know right away if they were real or not.

I smell it too. It would suck to spend all the money to get down there and then find out the tickets were fake. Although I have a friend who has the real deal, so Im sure I would know right away if they were real or not.

No you wouldn't. I have seen counterfit Ravens tickets and they are impossible to tell. Tickets now have a barcode on them that gets scanned when you enter the stadium. If they are fake they will look indentical (at least a good fake will) but won't hold up to the scanner.

Rule of thumb: never buy anything on craigslist that you need to have been shipped to you, especially if you wire the money to some third party website. Nobody in their right mind would go through all those hoops if it were not to scam people: they would just put the tickets in the paper or on eBay.

I say "Buy the Tickets".
I don't want the story to end here... I want to hear the rest.
You know, about how you paid and got fake tickets, showed up at the gate and...

DON'T DO IT. But if you do... let us know how it works out :rockin:

Scam. I've been seeing ads for a legitimate ticket exchange program, this is not one though. I mean... are the tickets coming on the back of a freight truck? Maybe you're getting a pallet of tickets?

If you want to confirm, just ask her to email you a pic of the tickets in hand and a piece of paper with "4-3-3-1 Ticket" written on it. If she can't take the time to take a picture of the tickets and a phrase that confirms she didn't just get the image off the internet, then who says she'll even have the time to ship the items.

Scam. I've been seeing ads for a legitimate ticket exchange program, this is not one though. I mean... are the tickets coming on the back of a freight truck? Maybe you're getting a pallet of tickets?

If you want to confirm, just ask her to email you a pic of the tickets in hand and a piece of paper with "4-3-3-1 Ticket" written on it. If she can't take the time to take a picture of the tickets and a phrase that confirms she didn't just get the image off the internet, then who says she'll even have the time to ship the items.

That wouldn't do any good if the tickets are fake.

I'm pretty sure craigslist has a warning on how not to get scammed. It says don't send cash or have something shipped.

if she's only interested in face value, she can sell them back to the venue instantly i am sure. why go through the hassle of dealing with a stranger and third party?

i dont purchase tickets from people anymore, just businesses, either the venue itself or a legitimate business that has an actual address, that i can go back and complain to, that i can sue or bring up on charges, etc. a place that has skin in the game so to speak and something to lose. buying from strangers is just asking for trouble - eventually it will come back and bite you.

My 2 cents on anything Craigslist, I stay away from anything that isn't a local transaction and if the seller isn't willing to meet the buyer in a public location to do a stuff for cash swap, buyer beware. And if it's a situation like Ebay, etc, that I do admit has more safeguards than Craigslist, if you pay upfront on the word of the seller the item will ship I personally never spend more than I can chalk up to an "oops" should the item never arrive on my doorstep.

if she's only interested in face value, she can sell them back to the venue instantly i am sure. why go through the hassle of dealing with a stranger and third party?

i dont purchase tickets from people anymore, just businesses, either the venue itself or a legitimate business that has an actual address, that i can go back and complain to, that i can sue or bring up on charges, etc. a place that has skin in the game so to speak and something to lose. buying from strangers is just asking for trouble - eventually it will come back and bite you.

Does that go for places like stubhub and the like too? You are still buying from a person but those places do have a guarantee.

Personally, I have ordered tickets from those places and ebay before many times and never had a problem. On ebay I just make sure that they have a decent amount of positive feedback for TICKETS that they have sold before.

Thanks for the replies...I figure it is a scam. I have a weird way of wanting to trust people; almost to a fault. Add that on top of really wanting to watch the Ducks crush Auburn and its dangerous for me. Too bad we have to filter between real and fraud when transacting with fellow humans.

If you ever feel a need to ask "is it a scam?", then the answer is pretty much always yes. Stay away from those tickets.

Thanks for the replies...I figure it is a scam. I have a weird way of wanting to trust people; almost to a fault. Add that on top of really wanting to watch the Ducks crush Auburn and its dangerous for me. Too bad we have to filter between real and fraud when transacting with fellow humans.

Speaking of scam

I hope you guys crush Allbarn, Scam Newton, and Gene Cheeze-it. That team is the biggest fraud in all of college football and I hope they get their asses whooped.

Rumor has it that they used video to watch our (SC in the SEC championship game) audibles and they adjusted their defense accordingly.

The entire team is dirty - from the Coach, to Scam Newton, right down to the water boy.

Go Ducks!

i am talking about the ever-so shady craiglist transaction. I am trying to purchase tickets for the ncaa title game. This person has them for a face value (which is about half price of the market value). I have had various communications with her, but i just cant get a good read on her by the emails.

She is using a third party to collect the money and ship the tickets. The way the transactions is supposed to work is this: I go to this wesite here and put in my payment information (which has to be a cash transfer) and then they deliver it. The have a statement on the page that says if buyer is not satisfied with merchandise then they must return the item and then will be refunded. This delivery place is one of those places that delivers furniture and other things from online merchandisers. I've used one of these companies before when i bought my bar and everything went real smooth.

Another consideration is that i have the sellers name and address. I looked up the address and it was the career and community learning center at the university of minnesota. Very random...i wonder if i should call the building and see she works there or something.

scam

free_candy_van.jpg

If you click on VeriSign or any of the other symbols that guarantee the integrity of the site they don't go back to the originating site but are hosted locally. I say scam. Typically you only have ONE certificate per site anyhow. Having more than one would not work on any webserver that I know of.

Back