Brutus Design Help- .120 or .062 Wall thickness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyled93

Reaction score
Hey,

I am in the process of putting together my own Brutus Hybrid and was working on the brew Frame. I am curious, has anyone used .062 wall thickness square tubing as opposed to the suggested .120?

I am assuming the .120 is due to the amount of weight being used on the frame?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kyle

1/16 wall thickness is really pushing it if you are going gas. 1/8" tube is enough, but I would be afraid of the heat from the burner. I made my rig out of 1/8 x 1 1/2" andgle and it is more than enough. and i do up to 25 gal batches. If it were me, I would go with 10ga square tube by 1". It will be more than strong enough, and still reasonable in price. Doesn't have to be over kill.

I went with .120 and I think its way overkill. Id guess it weighs more than 100lbs and I'd feel comfortable using it as a jack stand for a Peterbuilt. Its is however a bit more forgiving when it comes to welding and grinding to make it look decent being that you have more wall thickness to grind if need be.

Yea... I was really looking at first cost being that steel seems a bit expensive. It seems like the 2x2 1/8 is the way to go. I guess I will bite the bullet. Thanks for the suggestions!!

Chiming in on the thickness. I just ordered up my stainless I went between 0.120 and 0.063. Everything I've read is that people are fine with the 0.063, but I'm worried about my grinding skills and don't want to screw up the gas beam with poor grinding. My local guy has 0.083 2"x2" @ $5.75 a foot of 304 stainless with 180 grit polish. 0.120 of the same was over $8 a foot. I'll try and report back once it gets welded up.

I just bought .083 1.5" square tube and it will be plenty strong enough. It's going to weigh about 80lbs when it's said and done. I've had no problems welding it and this stand is the first thing I'm welding. I think it comes out to 14 gauge.Tapping it for anything would be impossible though. I don't think it would have enough thickness for any type of threading. Probably going to weld another piece on top then tap into that.

Thanks for the input CoalCracker. I was planning on welding a coupler to the gas beam for threading purposes. Now I'm just stressing of which burners to use. ;)

Latest posts

Back