Double batch-different OG's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colonial

Reaction score
A buddy of mine and I brewed a double batch of IPA. We added water to carboys to top off. When we poured the wort in the carboys (mine is marked) we tried to be sure to have the same amount of wort in each. I poured the first 2.5 gallons into mine, then about the same into his, then I sloshed the wort really well to get what we thought would be equal amounts of sediments into each carboy and continued pouring. we then topped off the carboys with water to make 5 Gal.

My OG was 1.070 and his was 1.060 :confused:. We were surprised by the difference.

I have read where some other folks are splitting their worts, is this common, what's the deal here??

was this all grain or extract? You may have had more wort and had to top off less. You said yours is marked , but not his ? Did you take the gravity reading after adding water, if so, it very possible that you did not mix well enough.

It was extract. We took the readings after adding water. I think the amounts were the same, roughly, it was right at 6 gallons and we both added right at 2 gallons water.

Other than not mixing the top-off water enough, I can't think of any reason for the difference.

It was extract. We took the readings after adding water. I think the amounts were the same, roughly, it was right at 6 gallons and we both added right at 2 gallons water.

Well without being exact, your gravities are roughly the same!:D

Trying to figure this one out seems like a good exercise in futility, you both will still have sweet, sweet beer and maybe next time you'll measure a little better. No worries!

Back