Reviving Mighty Oak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koten1488

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been a lurker on here for a few months now since I started brewing and I decided it was about time I actually joined.

I was a big fan of the Sam Adams Mighty Oak Ale that came out a few years ago but they have never brewed it since and I decided the best way to have it again (other than to beg them relentlessly) was to make it myself. I don't however, have the skills or equipment for full mash so I was thinking of doing it as a partial mash

I found this thread (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/how-much-crystal-343157/) but I'm hoping to tweak the recipe to get a slightly more accurate result and one that's more newbie friendly.

So my question to you is what tweaks do you think I should make to the following recipe?

TARGETS:
Flavor: Smooth and malty with distinct oak character (incl vanilla and caramel flavors)
Color: rich amber (SRM 25)
OG: 14.0 Plato
ABV: 5.7%
Calories: 189
Malts: 2-row blend and Caramel-60
IBUs: 15
Hops: EKG and Fuggles
Yeast: Sam Adams ale yeast

Recipe Original Poster Used:
7 lb 6 oz US 2-row (80%)
1 lb 8 oz Caramel-60 (16%)
0 lb 6 oz Melanoiden Malt (4%)
.25 oz Fuggles (60)
.25 oz EKG (60)
.25 oz Fuggles (20)
.25 oz EKG (20)
.5 oz Fuggles (0)
.5 oz EGK (0)
Wyeast 1056
.5 oz medium American oak chips for last week of primary

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First questions: Are you an all grain brewer?

If you are, then I wouldn't tweak anything, seems like a pretty simple recipe.

I'm pretty new to brewing so partial mash is what I'm aiming for. The big concern I have is with getting the flavor profile as close as possible to the original recipe. The guy who came up with it said it tasted too much like oak and kinda sweet, so I'm wondering what tweaks would be good to make it a little smoother.

Back